Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder week

(15 Posts)
karlmarxthespot Fri 16-Sep-11 06:29:08

I'm feeling a bit demoralised. I return to work at the end of January, but will have holiday to take, so I'll really be going back in February. I've had my flexible working application accepted, so will be working Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. These days suit work best, and I am happy with them.

I've started looking at childminders, and have shortlisted a few from the council list based on what they said on their entry, and also where they live.

However, I rang the first one last night, and she basically told me that I'll find it very difficult to get a CM for the days that I require as most CMs just don't want to work like that. She could have accommodated me Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, or Monday to Friday. But not my days. She indicated that I would find this a real problem. Is this true?

Also, she suggested looking for a CM who does drop off/pick up at the school DS is likely to go to in the future, to avoid moving him in a few years. Is this a good idea? I hadn't even thought about that <bad bad mother>

mnistooaddictive Fri 16-Sep-11 06:33:24

The school drop off thing is worth considering as a factor but not the defining one. You don't know what will happen in 3 years!
You may find your days difficult but it is a bit early to tell. Try ringing a few more and see what they say.

WoofToYouTooLady Fri 16-Sep-11 07:54:33

no I don't believe that about the days; maybe in her circle there are no spaces on those days but no, I don't think that applies to all CMs. Keep on ploughing through the list. School should be chosen on suitability for your son, not on who might be able to collect him. Look for CM cards/posters in places like the library, GP surgery - not every CM is listed by the council (some don't want to, some haven't got spaces, some councils work 3 months out of date for eg)

good luck

RealityVonCrapp Fri 16-Sep-11 07:57:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChildrenAtHeart Fri 16-Sep-11 09:11:23

They would be my ideal days too. And I agree with what others have said, you don't know for definite which school your child will go to so plan on finding the best child for now rather than in 3 years time

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Fri 16-Sep-11 09:16:42

i have had more enquiriess for those 3 days than any other combination. Around here lots of CM work those days.

Have you also looked on childcare.co.uk? They may have others listed

mousesma Fri 16-Sep-11 09:31:33

My DD has started with a childminder 3 weeks ago doing exactly the same days and there was never any suggestion that it would be a problem.

I can see why CMs might not want to take part time mindees because they have to find another part time mindee for the other days but I don't understand why Tues-Thurs would cause more of a problem then Mon-Wed.

With regards to school drop offs I think it's a factor but shouldn't be the most important factor. After all there are no guarantees you're going to get the school of your choice anyway.

anewyear Fri 16-Sep-11 10:18:34

Another who would do those days too..

Flisspaps Fri 16-Sep-11 10:42:26

I'd be happy to do those days. Two of my three are part timers, adds some variety to the week.

karlmarxthespot Fri 16-Sep-11 10:50:48

Thanks everyone that's great, I feel much better now. I was starting to panic that I had made a terrible mistake with my part time hours!

I'll keep looking, and hope that I find someone as accomodating as some of you smile

Oh, and I won't worry about the school thing - we might not even be living here by then...

leeloo1 Fri 16-Sep-11 13:37:40

I think there could be an issue with those days, because if someone needed 2 part-timers to take up a full time space then its unlikely someone would want Mon + Fri, so they'd need to get 2 people who want 1 day each (more unlikely and more work to have 2 x 1 day children than 1 x 2 day child). Hope that kind of makes sense.

But... it not impossible to find someone for those days, it might limit your choice somewhat - but then whatever days you wanted would limit your choice somehow/way! smile

Hope you find someone who suits you though.

ps Can you get your work to change your days to Mon, Tues, Weds? Then you'd get bank holidays off! [shallow emoticon!]

Sleepglorioussleep Fri 16-Sep-11 18:15:14

I would imagine I am not the only one who would like a single day. Can I have the Friday you won't need please wink? Seems strange. Whatever she wants to do but she is making a sweeping generalisation.

ChildrenAtHeart Fri 16-Sep-11 18:25:53

I've had quite a few parents want single days, especially as many providers round here insist on children attending for a minimum of 2 sessions on different days so won't take children for just one day.

If you change to Mon, Tues, Wed you may get Bank Hol Mondays off but you may still have to pay your childminder depending on their charging policy for these

MUM2BLESS Fri 16-Sep-11 19:39:18

That will not be a problem for all cms.

Keep looking you will find one.

Tanith Sat 17-Sep-11 23:21:12

I wonder if she meant that it was difficult to accommodate those days? At the moment, every mother ringing me wants Tuesday-Thursday! I can see the attraction: a long weekend and no bank holidays to fuss about, but I currently have the ludicrous situation of an impossibly crowded midweek with a waiting list for those three days and virtually no-one here on a Friday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now