Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much would you charge for a 'one off'

(7 Posts)
Allboxedin Thu 15-Sep-11 11:54:35

If they exist! forgive me if I am being naive, I've not had a childminder before so don't know much about prices etc.

Basically I am looking for someone who I can call on when I go into labour with our 2nd in October. Obviously I can't give an exact time or anything so not sure how it will work.
But how much would you charge for something like this and is it possible to find someone to do it?
I am in London btw.
Our dd will be 24 months next month.

nannynick Thu 15-Sep-11 12:44:12

You are not going to know:
A date
A start time
A finish time
If it's day or night, or both

I think it will be hard to find one person who would be able to help in that situation. Instead perhaps try to find several people, friends and neighbours who already know your daughter ideally. Also what about your daughters dad, is he on the scene? You may or may not want him present during labour, if you do then a friend/neighbour could perhaps care for DD until dad is able to leave you and care for his daughter.

Allboxedin Thu 15-Sep-11 14:50:46

Yes nanny, origionally DH was going to stay with dd and I was going to do labour alone but I didn't feel very happy about it in case he is at work or something..... so today we have changed our mind sand think it's better if we get someone to look after dd. I don't have family nearby but I have asked a few people if they know anyone this morning so hopefully will hear back.

thebody Thu 15-Sep-11 19:20:11

good luck, definatly try to get a friend. dont labour alone, its not as easy as it sounds and you need an advocate, someone you can really trust who knows you well, to speak for you sometimes.
best of luck.

Allboxedin Thu 15-Sep-11 19:48:36

Thanks the body, I had kept thinking it through and thinking well other women do it but it can't be easy and probably lonely sad

minderjinx Thu 15-Sep-11 22:12:07

If you can afford it, I'd say look for a doula to support you and your family through the birth and afterwards, preferably one who works in a group or at least with a colleague to reduce the risk of them being otherwise engaged when you need them. A good doula will muck in with whatever is most helpful at the time, whether it is supporting you through your labour or taking care of your household and childcare.

anewyear Fri 16-Sep-11 10:59:31

Well, I do Ad-Hoc, One Offs, what ever you want to call them. Not overnighters tho as Im not registered for that.
Iam Registered for 6, but mind only 4 after shoolers and happy with that, Occasionally Im asked by a parent up the school if I can take a child for a certain morning, afternoon, day/s, always happy to help out ifI can..
www.childcare.co.uk
your local Childrens Center
or the Family Information Service may be able to help you ifnd someone smile

a Doula sounds a good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now