Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare Advice for my Mum Please

(10 Posts)
stan1096 Thu 15-Sep-11 09:29:23

I told my Mum I'd post and see if I can get some advice on her starting to mind a child.
She'll be minding a little boy (4.5yrs) 2 days a week. She'll be getting him to school, collecting and minding him until his Mum gets home at around 7pm. This little boy lives next door to my Mum. They're going to sit down over the weekend and make some final arrangements but she's never done this before so she could with a little help.

What should she charge? I live in Ireland so I don't know what the rate would be. She lives in Essex.

I said she should clarify what happens if the child is off school due to sickness.
What will happen during school holidays?
But I can't think of much else! Any tips?? Thanks

RealityVonCrapp Thu 15-Sep-11 09:34:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anewyear Thu 15-Sep-11 09:41:59

Will she be looking after him in her house or in his
She will need to be registered with Ofsted if she is childminding in her own home.
If she is looking after him at his home, and Im not to sure about this, but she is then seen as a Nanny and doesnt have to be registered but could be seen as good/best practice if she were IYSWIM
Got to go out, but Im ure some one else will a long shortley with more info.

Flisspaps Thu 15-Sep-11 09:46:05

Another one saying register with OFSTED if she is going to do it for money, in her own home, and it's more than two hours a day. She needs to approach her local council who can inform her when their next Briefing Session is, where she will get lots of advice and the necessary forms.

Registration can take months and is subject to a satisfactory CRB and medical check.

nannynick Thu 15-Sep-11 12:16:16

If she doesn't charge anything, then she won't need to register as a childminder (registration could take 6 months+).
Perhaps the neighbour could do (and pay for) your mums shopping every other week or something like that. Needs to be an exchange of goods/services, not money.

hayleysd Thu 15-Sep-11 17:27:24

Even paying for shopping is seen as a reward and would require registering with ofsted, it would be ok for her to do it at their house though.

Flisspaps Thu 15-Sep-11 17:33:37

This is the Ofsted factsheet on childminding between friends, and tells you in which circumstances your mum would need to register and which she wouldn't.

If your mum's friend pays for your mum's shopping, or gives her vouchers for a shop that's counted as payment and requires registration.

If she brings round a bag of groceries, that's counted as goods and doesn't require registration.

You're best off giving the factsheet to your mum and getting her and her friend to go through it together.

lesstalkmoreaction Thu 15-Sep-11 18:05:35

Tell her to offer to take the child home after 2 hours in any one day and she can carry on caring as a nanny in the childs home so she won't have to register.

thebody Thu 15-Sep-11 19:14:56

she needs to be Ofsted registered if she is a cm working in her own home, she needs car and personal insurance. crb checks(can take 6months( and first aid trained.

if she did this in most playgrounds, and wasnt registered, then belive me someone will call the authorities and she would be breaking the law.

also if she hasnt taken into account the arrangments for school holidays etc are you sure she isnt biting off more than she can chew.

stripedcat Thu 15-Sep-11 20:04:03

I would suggest that she does this at the childs house - then the ofsted things above do not apply.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: