Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

'Booking' childminders in advance

(5 Posts)
yellowsubmarine41 Wed 14-Sep-11 21:19:11

Using a childminder is new to me, so I'm not sure how it all works..

My oldest child has started reception and I've found a very nice childminder to pick her up 2 evenings and week and she'll also do some holiday care.

My youngest is in a full-day nursery, though I'd like him to start the school nursery next September, so will need a childminder from 12 to 6pm for 2 days.

Would it be ridiculous to inform the childminder now that I'd like her to pick my son up 2 days a week in a years time? Do childminders usually ask for a retainer? When my oldest started, I booked her place 4 months in advance and paid £50 deposit.

Tia

looneytune Thu 15-Sep-11 10:02:49

Not ridiculous at all as lots of us have changes in September. I know in Sept next year I'll have a new full time space available so I'll fill that on a first come first served basis. I wouldn't charge a 'retainer' as I'm not available until September, however, I would charge a deposit which would be deducted from the first month's invoice (non refundable so if they change their mind, I keep the money and try and fill the space again). Just one thing though, most childminders I know would charge for a whole day even though they are going to nursery (as we couldn't fill the small space in between nursery drop off and pick up plus most need the full day care in the school hols).

HTH smile

ElizabethDarcy Thu 15-Sep-11 13:09:41

I would do the same as looneytune.

Insomnia11 Thu 15-Sep-11 13:12:43

The best thing is to check with the individual childminder.

yellowsubmarine41 Thu 15-Sep-11 19:49:15

Thanks - I'd expect to pay for a whole day. I'll speak with her about it, or possibly moving him there sooner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now