Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Drop off and pick up from school services

(5 Posts)
SoulSputnik Wed 14-Sep-11 11:33:40

Hello mums

I think i will soon return to work and so will need someone who can literally help me drop off the kids at school and pick them up from school, take them home and wait with them until I get home from work.

I have a few questions regarding these services:

1) If I hired a childcarer to watch them over term-time, generally speaking do I have to pay the childcarer during holidays and so on? Or does that differ contract to contract?

2) What is the approximate going rate for these services? And are they usually an hourly rate multiplied by the number of children you have (I have two)?? for example £10 x 2 kids = £20 an hour

Thanks, just want some general feedback either from childcarers, or from mums who are using similar childcare arrangements.

looneytune Wed 14-Sep-11 13:55:50

Hi. I'm a childminder so this means I look after children in MY home. I charge an hourly rate of £4.40 per child with a minimum of 1 hour before school and 2 hours after school. I personally allow term time only contracts but others would charge a retainer over the holidays.

It sounds like you're looking for a nanny to come to your home? If so, they will charge a higher hourly rate but it is usually the same rate per hour, regardless of the number of children. You'd probably have to find someone who is happy to work term time only but I'm not so sure about this as I'm not as clued up on the nanny side of things.

monstermissy Wed 14-Sep-11 13:58:04

can you not take advantage of breakfast and after school clubs?

nannynick Wed 14-Sep-11 15:03:50

How old are your children?
Do you have to have the care provided at your home... could you pick them up from someone elses home?

Their age may make a difference as children aged 4-7 are in a childminders Under8's ratio, where as children age 8+ are not.

SoulSputnik Thu 15-Sep-11 19:12:58

Thanks ladies

my children are 5.5 and (almost ) 4.

I got the job!!

I dont have to have the care in my home, i will definitely look at alternative options.

Thanks everybody

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now