Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Should nanny be paid more £ for looking after another child?

(6 Posts)
SuperNannyWannabe Tue 13-Sep-11 19:01:34

I've been working as a live-out nanny for the same amazing family for the past 18months and my pay has stayed at a constant £8net since starting.

I started looking after their 1year old, who is now 2 1/2, they now have another child, who is now 1. The mum is going back to work next month and so I will have both children. No one has mentioned an increase in pay, and I hate talking about money so wondered if I should be asking for more £, or not?? Is £8 per hour for an Essex based nanny average? If I ask for more, how much more? Will be working for them 2 days per week, 11 hrs per day, live out.

Any advice greatly received!! Thanks! :-)

RitaMorgan Tue 13-Sep-11 19:05:33

Does your contract include subsequent children, or are you renegotiating the contract?

Generally, more children doesn't mean more money, and lots of contracts mention subsequent children anyway. Since you haven't had a payrise since starting there though, it might be worth asking for one - maybe wait til the new year though, or til you've been there two years? If the mum has taken a year maternity leave some of it has probably been unpaid so they may not have the money at the moment.

SuperNannyWannabe Tue 13-Sep-11 19:13:46

We're currently renegotiating the contract, so I thought now should be the time. The onbld one was just for one child, the new one is for 2.

I'm only working for them for another 7 months so if I wait until new year it might not be worth it...

I'm pretty certain they can afford it, but I want to keep in line with other nannies, not be unreasonable.

badgerbrisket Tue 13-Sep-11 20:26:06

£8 'net' is reasonable and if you're only there for 7 more months is it worth having that awkward conversation?

nannynick Tue 13-Sep-11 20:57:12

£8 net is roughly what I am on in West Surrey and I care for 3 children at present, and have many years experience.

My view is that nannies are not paid per child. So another child who is a member of the family does not automatically mean a payrise. However as your salary didn't increase at the 12 month stage, a salary review now may be worthwhile - but don't expect it to go up by much. Your employers may not have had any salary increase in their job.

SuperNannyWannabe Wed 14-Sep-11 13:00:15

Thanks for the help. I've requested a pay review so we'll see what happens... I think I'll hope for inflationary and anything above that will be a bonus smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now