Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Part-time babysitter duties

(8 Posts)
chload Tue 13-Sep-11 18:22:19

Do you think it is reasonable to ask a part-time babysitter(5 hours a week) to clean windows and dust?

Those duties are part of a job I've been offered. When I first met the mom, she asked me if I would be OK with doing some chores while the baby naps(2 hours out of the 5). I thought she meant washing the dishes, loading the dishwasher, sweeping, washing and folding baby clothes, washing toys, that kind of things. All these things I would be fine with, but the first thing she mentioned was the window cleaning and the dusting, then sweeping and washing dishes.

I have not accepted the job yet and wonder if I should?
Are these normal duties for a (very) part-time babysitter?

RitaMorgan Tue 13-Sep-11 18:29:20

Is this day time or night time? If during the day you sound like a very part time nanny, and most nannies will only do "nursery duties" - chores related to the children. Cleaning windows and dusting is housekeeping.

It's up to you what you agree to do though, but if you are doing general housekeeping as well as childcare I would expect that to be reflected in the wage.

chload Tue 13-Sep-11 18:34:12

It's in the daytime. I advertised for a part-time babysitting job definitely not a housekeeper role and the wage isn't any better than other gigs I've had with no housekeeping.

I feel I'm going to have to decline, even though I really liked the job at firstsad.

Grumpla Tue 13-Sep-11 18:40:17

She's trying to get a babysitter AND a cleaner for the same price. I think that's pretty cheeky!

My babysitter (in the evening) gets paid to watch my telly and eat my chocolate biscuits... I expect if I asked her to do the housework as well I'd not see her for dust!

I would sweetly say "Of course, I'll be multitasking so for the hours your kid is napping and I'm skivvying I'll charge you my babysitting rate plus my cleaning rate, minus a generous 10% discount!" grin

chload Tue 13-Sep-11 23:47:08

She's told me I'm free to watch TV if I'm babysitting in the evening, but not in the daytime(which I'm totally OK with). I just don't think she realises those are not standard duties for a babysitter. Though she has told me she would never ask me to clean the loo(phew!)smile.

I will have a talk with her and see if she's flexible about the housekeeping stuff otherwise, I'm out.

Thank you all very much.

jendifa Wed 14-Sep-11 07:58:48

Maybe come to an agreement - ie you will do the child's laundry but not the windows?

anewyear Wed 14-Sep-11 09:35:18

I am astounded, do people really expect their babysitter to do the chores they cant be bothered to do nowdays?
I certainly wouldnt, if it were during the day all I would expect from the sitter would be to entertain/play or read stories etc
and at night, to eat & drink what I've put out for them...oh and listen out of course.
If you want the Childrens Chores done, or windows washed etc you get a nanny or House keeper IMO anyway.

SoulSputnik Wed 14-Sep-11 11:54:36

very cheeky if you ask me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now