Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminders - who pays for activities?

(10 Posts)
hooplahoop Tue 13-Sep-11 09:47:22

Hello,
sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm new to all this... My ds is about to start with a cm. We have agreed the daily rate but are still negotiating paing for activities. There is an art class she is keen to take my ds to, but it costs £4 per session. Who would pay for this, me or her? Money is tight for us both, and I don't want it to be a dealbreaker as I think its going to work really well, but obv I'm keen not to take on any more costs!
Someone mentioned if she pays she could claim it back on tax expenses, is that true does anyone know?

thanks so much

Flisspaps Tue 13-Sep-11 10:03:30

If she wants to take him, then I'd say the CM (and I am a CM myself)

If you were asking her to take him, then you should pay.

She can log it as an expense but we don't get those 'back' per se, just that they're not included in our overall income for the year for tax purposes.

ChitChattingWithKids Tue 13-Sep-11 10:36:21

I think it depends on the rate you pay for the CM. If it is a relatively low rate, then asking for the cost of activities over and above the CM fee is acceptable, some CMs dont' include anything, so activities, food (bar some snacks) are extra.

Our CM includes all of the activities within her costs. It does mean that large outings happen rarely, but lots of playgroups, soft plays, etc.

An0therName Tue 13-Sep-11 10:37:00

hmm tricky -
if she want to take him she should pay I think - she could do art at home I think - I would have that dicussion
I think CM normally pay for toddler groups that kind of thing - and my old CM used to pay for trips out as well - which I felt bad about - but she never took DCs to any classes
my new CM takes another mindee to a music class - my DS sometimes goes on those days - the class sounds lovely but money is v tight here too - the other parent asked her to take the other mindee and pay so its a bit trickly

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 13-Sep-11 13:21:45

I'm a cm and regular term-time weekly activities are included in my fees (e.g. library, toddler groups, messy play at a children's centre, soft play) however holiday activities, especially for the older children, I ask for a contribution towards. We'll only do a couple of big things a week (e.g. trip to the seaside or a National Trust place) and I cover the cost of petrol and picnics but their parents pay for the entrance fee and treats.

hooplahoop Tue 13-Sep-11 13:28:09

Thanks, as for so many things its a bit mixed it seems

Rosiegirl Tue 13-Sep-11 13:33:23

I am with most of the others on this one. If you wanted her to take your ds, then you should pay. If she wants to go then I think she should pay, unless her hourly rate is low. I don't charge for outings, as I believe I am paid to look after the child, if I choose to go out that's up to me. I pick local groups that are reasonable £2 per family or where childminders have agreed special rates with soft play, and although we are no longer allowed our own morning group, childminders are still allowed to use children's centers around here.

HSMM Tue 13-Sep-11 14:20:04

I have a policy that I pay for all outings, but parents pay for regular clubs. For example parents paid when I took 3 toddlers to music and parents paid when I took a school child to Kick Boxing.

Having said that, the children did not have to to go and if one parent said no, then no-one went.

Perhaps she wants to take her own child and it's easier if everyone does it?

thebody Tue 13-Sep-11 14:54:18

i do as HSSM if i choose to take toddlers to activities then i pay but if its parents wish then they pay.

Mum2Luke Wed 14-Sep-11 09:55:01

I also do the same as HSMM and SquishyCinnamonSwirls If parents want their child to go to after school activities such as swimming/dancing etc and they finish around 6 pm I am happy to take them but am not paying for them as well.

I pay for tots fees and activities run by local Surestart but they are being cut back even more so there is not alot to go to during the day. We go to the library and play centres sometimes too.

If the cm wanted the child to go she should pay, not the parent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now