Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

i have no idea how stupid this question may sound.......

(17 Posts)
stainesmassif Sun 11-Sep-11 09:04:46

how long did it take from making the decision to become a childminder to taking on your first mindees?

NickNacks Sun 11-Sep-11 09:11:39

17 months for me. First asked at the FIS when the next training session was which was September, received certificate in May and first mindees started that following September, probably due to the time of year as they were school drop off/ collections.

Hope it goes well for you!

NickNacks Sun 11-Sep-11 09:12:27

Sorry meant to ay i first decided and asked in April.

surfandturf Sun 11-Sep-11 09:25:56

I decided to become a minder about 2 years ago but it took a while to get my arse into gear psyche myself up to leaving my very secure adequately paid full time job. I started the pre-reg course at the beginning of Feb and took my first mindees in July. Depends where you are too I think. I am in Dorset.

stainesmassif Sun 11-Sep-11 09:27:15

Thank you. am supposed to be returning to work on Tuesday (pretty short notice) and am starting to think there's just no point with two small children and what are my other options.......

NickNacks Sun 11-Sep-11 09:32:32

Don't do it if you're thinking its just an 'easy option' though- its overwhelmingly the hardest job i've ever done for the lowest income! Also if you have two little ones yourself (assumingpre-schoolers), you'll only be able to take on one more under 5 which again will restrict your income.

Are you actually in Staines? Maybe research the area with the FIS to see what the demand is like for CM's in your area?

stainesmassif Sun 11-Sep-11 09:39:15

definitely not an easy option. am under no illusions at all. but it fits, and I know that I can do it. i have a 9 month old and an almost 3 year old. I wouldn't want to take on more than one under 5 to start with, i don't want to go grey over night. (am ex stainesmassif, but attached to the name)

HSMM Sun 11-Sep-11 09:49:08

Took 6 months for my dh, with the crb check taking the longest

leeloo1 Sun 11-Sep-11 12:10:30

I decided around February/March (I think) and took my 1st mindee on in August. I was limited timewise by - having to go on the Intro to CMing course run by the council before they'd give me my Ofsted application form (I learnt more about CMing on here!) and the CRB check, which I was tracking online and the last 'police check' stage took forever!

I started with 1 x 10mth old 3 days pw for the 1st 5 months, then she left when family moved and I had 1 x 5mth old for 4 mths (pretty worrying time as I wasn't earning enough to live on but couldn't get more people). Then slowly business picked up and I now have 2 or 3 EY children every day (with Ofsted variation of course). Now I can't take on more people and have a waiting list.

I found the paperwork with just 1 tiny very manageable tbh (depends what you're used to of course!), now with 4 and being full-time it is more heavy going. I'm earning well though (I live in an area where childcare is generally expensive) and it means I get to be at home with DS, so definitely worth doing. smile

stainesmassif Sun 11-Sep-11 19:58:13

One more question - and thanks again for responses - how did your own children adapt to your mindees?

Flisspaps Sun 11-Sep-11 20:21:12

Four months - decided at the end of last August and was lucky to get on a briefing session within a couple of weeks, first mindee started in January - she could have started in December when my registration came through but the variation didn't arrive until Jan.

DD seemed to take really well to having another child around, although she was only 11 months when I started.

stainesmassif Tue 13-Sep-11 08:41:19

One more question. What about cats? Do you just shut them out of the house whilst your mindees are there? We have four...

HSMM Tue 13-Sep-11 08:44:53

DD was a baby when we started. We did have some sharing issues when she was a toddler. She was allowed to keep her very favourite toys in her bedroom, so the other children didn't play with them.

I had a cat when I started and his cat flap was in the play room. All the parents were quite happy with this and the cat just got out of the way when he'd had enough. He was quite friendly and not a scratchy bitey cat. All the parents agreed in advance that if their child got scratched for pulling the cat's tail (or whatever) it would be a valuable learning experience. Depends on your cats and the mindees parents. No litter tray in reach of children and lots of cleaning went on.

stainesmassif Tue 13-Sep-11 20:15:57

well obviously all of the cats are used to babies and most stay away and one is just very long suffering. but i read some guidelines that stated children and pets couldn't be left unsupervised. thanks again, all information is so helpful

nailak Tue 13-Sep-11 20:25:33

a childminder told me that her son had issues sharing the toys in his house as he percieved them as his, so she boug ht some toys just for him that mindees had to ask his permission to use.

stainesmassif Tue 13-Sep-11 20:32:38

and am i right in thinking your own children mainly had issues with toy sharing rather than your attention?

HSMM Tue 13-Sep-11 21:14:39

When she was little it was toy sharing, at primary school it was more time she wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now