Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you share your food with mindees?

(7 Posts)
Mousey84 Fri 09-Sep-11 13:48:25

I dont provide food as per contract, but will buy ice creams or whatever when we are out, or treats in the house etc.

However, I cant remember a meal time that at least one mindee hasnt approached and demanded food off my plate.

They are 2 and 3 years old, and all know manners etc, but Im questioning how I handle their demands.

What would you / do you do?

JustAnother Fri 09-Sep-11 14:42:10

Do they bring their own food or you only look after them for very short periods? If they are hungry and you don't provide food, I would ask parents to bring a larger lunch pack so that you can direct them to their own food when they are hungry. Once they are at school they won't be allowed to share food, so providing they have their own, I can't see the problem

minderjinx Fri 09-Sep-11 16:12:19

I wouldn't share food from my plate or allow children to share each others' food for hygiene reasons and also because I think that they should be taught that it is not good manners to ask for other people's lunch (much less demand it!).

I do however cook for all the children now, and eat the same myself, so the issue doesn't really arise. When I did have children bringing packed lunches there were a fair few squabbles about wanting what others had/not wanting to eat what Mum or Dad had sent, and I also had concerns about the suitability of some of the lunches sent. So whilst I agree it might in your position be a good idea to suggest something more or different is put in the lunchboxes if the children seem to be hungry, I'd rather not have packed lunches at all myself.

Mousey84 Fri 09-Sep-11 17:41:47

I have them 6 hours a day, so 2 meal times and a snack time.

Its more a case of wanting what others have I think, rather than being hungry or not wanting what their parents sent.

I feel reassured by what you are saying, but still feel a little bad, esp when Im a bit unhappy with one childs lack of fruit / veg in his lunch!

Today I opened fridge to get milk and one child dodged in and grabbed my daughters aero bubble mousse things and then was very sad when I said he couldnt eat it. Another had seen jelly and wanted it, and the third asks every day to have dds "weekend" cereal. At home, they pretty much get what they want when they want it (crisps just before tea, chocolate at breakfast time etc)

I expect them to share non-food things, so saying I wont share food things seems a bit or a contradiction!

However, Ill persevere with saying no, and distraction distraction distraction!

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Fri 09-Sep-11 17:44:46

It depends on the manners used, if what I'm eating is suitable for them, if they're still hungry etc. E.g. I had crackers with soft cheese and sliced cu and toms on today, and the little girl had never tried them and asked very nicely, so after I'd finished my lunch and she had finished what was on her plate I checked if she was still hungry and prepared her her own one to eat.

natalie83 Sun 11-Sep-11 22:48:09

I have been a nanny for many years and am now a mum to a 10 month old baby, and I can't remember the last time I managed to eat something around the children without them asking for some. I've been known to sneak into the bathroom to eat a bar of chocolate before! Like you've said, the children are encouraged to share, so if they ask nicely I don't have a problem with it.

taacrmachine Thu 13-Oct-11 10:28:44

id say if the parents want to let their kids demand food from their plates, that is their prerogative. I however wouldn't allow it.
if one of my charges made those demands i would have to explain that it is bad manners, they have their lunch and need to eat up. maybe get a bag of apples in with your weekly shop for when those occasions arise, you can say if they are still hungry they can have a piece of fruit.
I also don't allow the kids in the fridge when i have them as it just causes complications.
sorry can't be more help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now