Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how can they do it??

(13 Posts)
dmo Fri 09-Sep-11 09:24:47

i have (had) 6 children before and after school
the school have now sent a letter out yesterday letting parents know they have set up a before school club starting on monday the children will receive cereal, toast, fruit and a drink for £2.50 per week!!!

how can they afford to do this? a box of cereal is £2

An0therName Fri 09-Sep-11 09:28:46

they will have some funding I expect

WoofToYouTooLady Fri 09-Sep-11 09:32:26

£2.50 per WEEK ?

[faints]

dmo Fri 09-Sep-11 12:01:38

i know wooftoyoutoolady shock

sydenhamhiller Fri 09-Sep-11 12:29:30

I know, I had a mum ask me about before school minding - would have been 1.5 hours. She said the breakfast club at school was only £3...I just said I cannot compete with that, and if I was a parent working out of home, I would choose that option too! I don't think our school gets funding, but think critical mass - lots of kids at £3 is enough to cover a couple of staff ... Whereas (lazily perhaps) I think the extra paperwork was not worth £3 a day to me!

mamamaisie Mon 12-Sep-11 14:50:39

Our local beakfast club is £3 and the after school is only £8 for 3 hours. There is no way that I can compete with that. The afterschool club is full with a waiting list a mile long so I find that I still get mindees even though my rates are much higher.

Karoleann Mon 12-Sep-11 18:55:53

It must be a typo that must be per day!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 12-Sep-11 19:42:28

must be per day - cant be 50p a day - can it ...............

Rosiegirl Mon 12-Sep-11 20:11:36

I have lost children to local holiday clubs who charge £18 for a 10 hour day. All good - but numbers are quite high and then don't operate for the whole holidays, then parents come to me at the last minute, not realising that if I consistently get undercut I won't be here much longer to pick up the slack.

KatyMac Mon 12-Sep-11 20:55:13

I do virtually no before & after school work because of this

HavePatience Mon 12-Sep-11 21:32:14

Wow! Even if this was £2.50/DAY, it would be amazing!

thebody Mon 12-Sep-11 21:44:12

wow, cant blame parents for choosing this cheap option, was wondering where all my tax went and now i know, its undercutting my business!!

as Katy says dont do after school as cant compete with this.

HSMM Tue 13-Sep-11 07:57:33

I lost so much before and after school work to clubs that I no longer offer it. I lost nearly all my holiday work to play schemes. It's just not funny. As a parent ... I would use the funded schemes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now