Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club - Older children walking to school

(6 Posts)
Rosiegirl Thu 08-Sep-11 10:01:01

Do any of you have older children 11+ that walk to school themselves?

I have been caring for siblings for a couple of years. The younger girl goes to school on a bus outside my house, and I have been taking the brother to school. This term I am unable to take him to school and did advise the parents when they broke up before the summer holidays.

They have told me that he can walk to school from now on. He is 12 soon and is quite a sensible boy, they really feel it would be good for him to have some Independence. I have checked with my insurers from both the legal and indemnity perspective and have been told, as I thought, that I would not be covered once he left my house... but as long as the parents are happy and I ensure I get signed permission it is a reasonable request.

They don't have any other options, there are no other local minders and they both have to start work early.

What are your thoughts?

looneytune Thu 08-Sep-11 11:28:11

My thoughts are that most secondary school aged children I know come home alone so as long as the parents sign saying this is ok and that you will not be responsible from when they leave your house to when they arrive back, I would have thought it would be fine. I'd probably create a permission form for this which covers everything you want and then they can just sign it.

This is only my thoughts though. The oldest mindee I've looked after so far is 8 years old and my own eldest is 8 so I have no personal experience of this.

HTH smile

minderjinx Thu 08-Sep-11 12:16:46

I know CMs who have children after school who walk home from school alone (or with each other) so that's a similar situation. I'd say it would be okay subject to having parents' authorisation to let them leave unaccompanied and making it clear that your responsibility ends at the point when they do leave yours.

thebody Thu 08-Sep-11 12:34:04

yep have it all written and signed for so everyone knows their responsibilities, i am sooo lucky as our local middle and high school runs a bus which stops ten doors up from our house, long may it continue

Rosiegirl Thu 08-Sep-11 13:26:30

Thanks guys, I am a little nervous, but he will be able to walk with my 14 yo DD most days as well. I was dreading everyone saying NO WAY.. as there really is no other option available.

MUM2BLESS Thu 08-Sep-11 14:04:22

Mum of four 7 10 12 and 15. About to take on my 7th cm child.

As a cm/mum you know your own children and its easier to let them do things alone. When cm you have to rely of the judgement of the parents regarding their child. Get permission in writing to cover yourself.

Each child is very different even my own. My 12 was walking home alone before going to senior school on the bus.

If your 14 yr old is okay with them walking together then thats fine.

All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now