Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs - How did you set up your fees?

(5 Posts)
BlueberryPancake Wed 07-Sep-11 17:52:57

I have spoken to a few parents and other childminders and the fees vary quite a bit where we live (a middle-class city-workers part of London). I am not sure how to set up my fees as I am starting up.

One local CM I know charges £50 a day, she has a small ish house and small ish garden. Another CM I know charges £65 a day and £8 an hour and I think that's just too much. Would you go for middle of the road? Did you charge less when you started up and raised the fees year on year? I have also called a couple of nurseries and they vary from £45 a day to £55 a day, depending on age etc.

Many thanks for your help!

gardenpixies32 Wed 07-Sep-11 18:10:49

I looked at the average in my area and was surprised by how low(ish) they were, 3.50 per hour. I have a friend who also happens to be an Ofsted EYFS inspector (which comes in extremely handy) and she suggested to charge between 4.00-4.50 per hour. So I went for 4.00 per hour. I decided on that as I plan to have a slight increase every April, 10p an hour.

HTH

anewyear Wed 07-Sep-11 19:32:51

We have several minders in our village, when I started minding I asked them how much they charged and went for the middle option, £4 ph, I belive with the exception of one or two, we all the charge the same now.

mogs0 Thu 08-Sep-11 11:20:29

When I set up as a cm in West London 6 years ago, I was charging £4 an hour plus £5 per day for food, nappies etc. After long negotiations with my first mindees parents, I increased my hourly rate to £5 per hour or £45 per day for all new mindee.

I have been researching current hourly rates in the same area and it seems to vary between £6 and £8 per hour.

mamamaisie Thu 08-Sep-11 22:54:33

In my part of London (not so well off part) I have found that parents are not willing to pay a childminder more than the nursery charges. They all seem to expect the charges to be less. The local nurseries charge about £37 per day so I set my rates to £4 hour or £36 for a full 10 hour day. There are some childminders in my area who charge less and perhaps one or two who charge slightly more. I raise my charges as and when the local nursery does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now