Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Mother's help - how much should I pay?

(4 Posts)
PrincessOfWails Tue 06-Sep-11 12:44:28

I'm thinking of getting a mother's help (I'm assuming that's what he is!) 2 nights a week for a couple of hours.
He's a lad who works FT at a local nursery, but I need someone to come in for a couple of hours, between 6-8, to just be an extra pair of hands at bath and bedtime. (I have a 3yo, and a newborn.) His job will be to deal with the newborn whilst I get the 3yo to bed, or take over with bathtime if the newborn needs a feed etc. I'll be there, so it's not babysitting; I'm not expecting any help with the housework (God, I wish! smile) or anything like that, just an extra pair of hands.

How much should I pay? It's going to be in cash (I assume), and seeing as it's not a great time, I can also give him an evening meal if he wants that.

Many thanks!

irregularegular Tue 06-Sep-11 12:47:39

I'd pay him the same hourly rate as he gets at the nursery, and make sure it's enough to cover any extra travel he has to do.

ChitChattingaway Tue 06-Sep-11 14:11:07

Oh no, nursery rates are barely above minimum wage - and in fact if you take into account extra training, staff meetings etc some staff are actually paid BELOW minimum wage.

Obviously he's trained, so around £8 per hour would seem fair.

PrincessOfWails Tue 06-Sep-11 14:33:40

£8 per hour sounds about right - and no extra travelling as he'll be coming from the nursery which is down the road (yes, I live 2 fields from a nursery!).
Didn't want to be too stingy, and I'm not rich enough to be over generous!!
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now