Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Any FOSTER Carer on here? Could do with a little advice please!

(4 Posts)
ECD1970 Tue 06-Sep-11 12:18:48

A little bit about me in a nutshell!

I am thinking of fostering and my reasons are below!
I have already contacted my local council and will be attending an information session soon.

I am still in full time employment and also thinking or early retirement sometime soon. I am so sad just thinking of leaving work.

The reason been, I have four children, my oldest will be starting university soon.
Second child is disabled but goes to a special school during the day
Third child is at school up to 3:15
Forth child is almost 3 years old and not in nursery yet.

Thats my reason for early retirement from full time employment.
Childcare cost is calculated at well over £2000 per month. I dont even earn that much.
My disabled sons after school sessions (about 2 hours) the council wants £63 per day because of his 1:1 special care.

My husband works full time too and we can manage on one salary as he is the highest earner.

I am not sure because we already have 3 young children at home and one with a disablity if fostering is even possible.

It would be a shame if it is not possible as we are such a happy and out going family. We have so much to give and it would be a joy and a blessing to share some of our happiness and love. I really want to make a difference in other peoples lives. And at the same time earn a little extra.

When my daughter leaves for university soon, we will have two bedrooms free as supppose to the one required for fostering!

I know I will get answers at the meeting but I cant wait to find out and the council website doesnt mention having children of your own if it will cause a problem.

I appreciate your comments please.

This is a very difficult decision to make regarding work and fostering and our childrens future. Therefore, it anyone has any really negative comment to make, I shall simply ignore them! Thank you.

ChitChattingaway Tue 06-Sep-11 14:16:46

I think you should post this on the fostering board

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/fostering

For what it's worth - I know of a family with two youngish girls - junior primary - who foster so having young children doesn't automatically disqualify. They are VERY short of foster families so I think they will be as reasonable as they can be.

Good luck!! (And I think it's a WONDERFUL thing that you want to do!!!! smile)

ECD1970 Tue 06-Sep-11 15:03:29

ChitChattingaway

Thank you kindly for that! I had no idea there was a fostering board although I had a look!

And thank you for your support smile

badgerbrisket Tue 06-Sep-11 20:16:11

wow it is so heartening to see that people like you exist in this world, good luck on your journey

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now