Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM for after school only

(6 Posts)
Allegrogirl Mon 05-Sep-11 16:47:07

I don't have any experience of CMs but will need one for 3 days per week after school pick up. Will a CM do just these hours? How do I find one? I haven't liked the look of those I've seen around as they seem to have a huge amount of charges that aren't really watched.

Some advice would be much appreciated.

Piccalilli2 Mon 05-Sep-11 16:55:14

I got a list from the local council which set out what hours childminders could offer and what schools they do pick up from, then started ringing round as the details weren't always 100% accurate. We then arranged to visit two and chose the one dd1 was happiest with, who has turned out to be utterly marvellous. My childminder has a couple of babies/toddlers all day then 5-6 after-school only kids, about 10-15 in total but different ones on different days, ranging in age from 5 to about to start secondary. She has a large secure garden and the kids all play together.

cat64 Mon 05-Sep-11 17:03:06

Message withdrawn

Allegrogirl Mon 05-Sep-11 17:04:39

Thanks Piccalilli2 that's helpful and positive.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Mon 05-Sep-11 17:06:52

I'm a CM and I would as most of my current mindees are picked up between 2-4, not in W Suffolk are you?! smile
Otherwise, do your school have an after-school club?

Allegrogirl Mon 05-Sep-11 17:12:26

There's no after school club sadly. I have no contacts at the school gate yet as this will be for DC1. I'll get some lists and ring around.

This is really daft I know but my brother was at a CM and didn't like it much and it's given me a negative view. As I don't know anyone who uses a CM I haven't had any positive experience. I feel a bit uncomfortable about DD being in the home of someone I don't know but she is old enough to tell me if she is unhappy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now