Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club - Charging Query

(6 Posts)
surfandturf Sun 04-Sep-11 08:14:27

Good morning all,

I have been childminding for a couple of months and am really enjoying it so far. I charge an hourly rate and thought I had explained quite clearly that I charge to/from the nearest 1/2 hour.

I have a new mindee starting and the hours they will be attending are mainly part days which I don't mind as my main USP is to be flexible. However, I have just given them their first invoice which mum has queried.

The start and finish times are at 1/4 to and 1/4 past the hour (e.g. 9.15am - 3.15am) I have charged a total of 6.5 hours from 9.00am to 3.30pm. Mum says it should only be 6 hours.

Would you stand your ground or let it go for the sake of a couple of quid a week?

Advice appreciated!

Thanks

ChitChattingaway Sun 04-Sep-11 08:34:54

Hmm, tricky. If you made it clear that you should charge per half hour then that is what you should do.

However, when she asked for the specific start/finish times did you point out that she would be charged from 9 am until 3 pm?

She might have thought you meant that the total hours had to be full half hour slots ie 6 hours is divisible in half hour slots, not that the half hour slots start and finish on the hour and half hour.

If she were to actually bring her child at 9 am and not pick up until 3.30 would you be available? If you're charging, I feel you should be available.

looneytune Sun 04-Sep-11 08:58:42

If it was me I'd have only charged 6 hours (I have been childminding 6 years and round up to the nearest quarter hour so similar to you). I use the rounding up more in this situation:

Care from 7.15am to 8.50am school drop off (charge 7.15 - 9am) then care from after school at 3.20pm to 6pm, for example (charge from 3.15pm - 6pm). As those contracted hours are a set number of hours, I'd have just charged 6 hours and if I have someone wanting care from 3.20pm - 5.20pm then I'd just charge 2 hours care, but that's me. If you made it absolutely clear how your rounding up works then she shouldn't be querying it, but if you didn't, I'd let it go personally.

HSMM Sun 04-Sep-11 10:25:56

Depends if she thought you meant she had to book whole half hours ie 6 he's or half past or o'clock hours.

lesstalkmoreaction Sun 04-Sep-11 12:08:33

I would have charged for 6 hours.

surfandturf Sun 04-Sep-11 13:29:13

Thanks for your replies. I thought I had made it clear when she confirmed her hours but if you all seem to think it would be good practice to just charge the 6 hours that is what I will do wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now