Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Having a nanny for the first time what would you recommend to do?

(11 Posts)
lookingforwork Sat 03-Sep-11 22:39:20

Hi I started looking for work about a month ago but didn't seriously think I'd find a job so quickly so haven't really been that worried about childcare thinking I'd have time to sort this out.
Anyway I had a second interview on Thu and yesterday have been offered the job to start in 2 weeks eeek!!

Now I have 2 weeks to find childcare for a 2 year old and a 5 year old (before and after school). None of the CMs in my area who pick up from her school have spaces (unsurprisingly as school goes back on Monday). And the before and after school club isn't an option so I thought a nanny might be the answer.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated, I put an ad up and now am organising interviews for next week, so I have some questions:

Anything I definitely should ask? shouldn't ask? What are your tips on finding a nanny and what salary is OK?

Thanks for reading smile

mranchovy Sat 03-Sep-11 23:21:58

My first thought is that you need a short term solution so that you aren't forced to take on permanently the first person you see that is available at short notice.

I would probably look for an agency that could provide a temp for a few weeks while recruiting someone permanent.

nannynick Sat 03-Sep-11 23:33:00

What salary are you able to afford? Keep in mind that there are costs above the Gross salary, such as outings/activities, mileage, food, running payroll.
Is it a full time nanny job... Hours - 7am-6pm?
Look at other job adverts in your area - is your job going to be attractive yet not overly paying above what others are offering?

Ask about history - all the usual stuff which you would get asked about at a job interview... educational background, experience of the job, how long they have been in previous jobs, why did they leave, what they liked doing, what didn't they like so much.
If someone is of a nationality of which you are not familiar, lookup the right to work in the UK rules - as an employer it is up to you to check your employee is allowed to work.
Consider how much paid holiday you are providing (minimum for full-time is 5.6 weeks) ask nanny about how they have managed holiday in the past, such as restricting to only being during school holiday periods.
Ask about knowledge of first aid, check what training they have had.

lookingforwork Sun 04-Sep-11 18:02:00

Hi thanks for that. I'm writing a list of questions to ask.

Yes it is full time from 8-6. There are some ads wanting work but not much needing a nanny. I've lloed on line at salaries and they suggest £25-30K for central london but I am in east london and a poorish area so i'm thinking max £20k. Also I have to think about what I can afford I dont want all my net salary going to the nanny's gross salary.

any other advise would be great smile

fraktious Sun 04-Sep-11 20:22:34

Would you consider a newly qualified/inexperienced/ex nursery nanny? Or a nanny with their own child? Or a nanny share?

All of those can reduce the salary significantly. Remember than on top of the gross salary you will need to pay employer's NI as well as the costs nick mentions.

I'm also of the opinion that you want to get a temp in for a couple of months to give you time to find a permanent solution.

That there are ads wanting work is encouraging. What kind of salaries are they looking for?

Karoleann Sun 04-Sep-11 20:53:26

Hi, if you offer £350/net per month (which is £7/hour), cost to you per month is £2134. £400/net per month (£8.hour) cost to you is £2498.
It is expensive and most nannies are looking to earn £9-£10.
I'd put an ad on gumtree stating that the salary is £350-£400/week net and see who you get.
You may well get a nursery nurse whose looking to become a nanny.
Read through some of the adverts already on gumtree, you need to mention that they need to have a vaild VISA, non-smoker, experience, speak english mention the age of the children and your location. Ask for a CV.
Good luck x

Oligo Mon 05-Sep-11 21:08:23

Congratulations on your job.
I understand about your salary but even in east london the quality of your applicants will really depend on the salary offered. It depends what you are happy with. First aid would probably be top of my list or at least willing and able (english wise) to go on a course.

Commuting to central London is pretty easy which means salaries in the East are really not that much different for experience/quals/proactive nannies. I think that it's just there are fewer people looking for that type of nanny in the area. Nannyshare sounds a possible option for you or perhaps just for part of the week.
Temps through agencies are expensive though.

diamond2101 Mon 05-Sep-11 22:16:35

Have PM'd you!

cherub59 Tue 06-Sep-11 13:04:27

I wouldn't advertise for a temp nanny as it will put off many quality candidates. It is normal In a permanent position to have a probation period in the contract so if it wasn't working out you can give notice. My experience when hiring a temp nanny to cover my nanny's maternity leave was that it really affected the type of applicants

mranchovy Tue 06-Sep-11 13:11:28

You don't get short term temps quickly (now less than 2 weeks!) by advertising, you get them from an agency.

fraktious Tue 06-Sep-11 14:12:35

I would tend to agree with mra - temps are best through agencies, unless you have plenty of advance warning. Then you advertise for a permanent candidate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now