Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

URGENT - please: what do nannies get paid in and around Glasgow??

(12 Posts)
PacificDogwood Sat 03-Sep-11 21:47:21

I am about to post my ad on Gumtree.

We are really outside Glasgow.

Ballpark figure, please? What are you paying/being paid?

Wanna work for me ?

<<goes and hides all the thread where she has been moaning about her darling offspring>>

I have just reposted this from Chat where the silence was deafening grin.

nannynick Sat 03-Sep-11 21:51:59

Look at other jobs being advertised.
Look on sites like
www.nannyjob.co.uk
www.childcare.co.uk

Decide what you can afford to pay, taking into account as many costs as you can think of - see my past posts on that topic.

Decide if you will give a Gross salary, Net salary or both indication on the advert. Remember that when it comes to actually agreeing a salary, agree it as Gross so the nannies taxcode does not affect the amount you pay overall.

PacificDogwood Sat 03-Sep-11 21:55:12

Thanks, nannynick, I've had a disappointing experience with childcare.co.uk and found nannyjob.co.uk quite South-East centric...

I have drafted my ad on Gumtree as a friend had found her nanny with it and had offered £8/hr gross and then got cold feet - I suppose I am just looking to be told IANBU grin.

PacificDogwood Sat 03-Sep-11 21:55:37

£8/hr gross, I should have said

nannynick Sat 03-Sep-11 23:39:50

Maybe look at some nanny agency websites in scotland - though I am not sure there are that many agencies near you, possibly 3 agencies.
Look at other jobs, non nannying. Is the salary competitive?
8 gross sounds ok. Its a starting point, if you get good applicants at that amount then you know it's fine for your area.

giraffesCantChaChaCha Sun 04-Sep-11 08:02:34

I would say 8.50 at least for 4. you could put negotiable depending on experience.

PacificDogwood Sun 04-Sep-11 09:36:15

Thanks again, both.

The hourly rates the agencies quite seem really low to me - I've gone with £8 in my ad. Let's see what response I get...

cakeoholic Sun 04-Sep-11 15:55:08

I'm a nanny in Glasgow and think £8.50 gross is lowest I'd consider, I know my friends who have taken jobs recently are still getting £9/9.50. We are all qualified/experienced, drivers with own cars and all but one of the jobs are fairly central.

charliebrownsmum Wed 07-Sep-11 22:18:56

I had a nanny, we're in the west end and we paid her £9 per hour. When i was looking into it the agencies said this was the going rate. I have 3dc's. I think with 4dc's this would be the least the would expect!! hope this helps!

giraffesCantChaChaCha Fri 09-Sep-11 13:27:49

How is it going pdw?

PacificDogwood Fri 09-Sep-11 22:02:29

I am just back to this thread. Thanks for all your input.

giraffes: thank for asking smile. I have had a really good response to my ad and have had The Chat with my CM today sad - it was not as awful as I thought, but we will all be sad to lose her.

I have 8 candidates short-listed and have started organising interviews. Eeek! I am off to trawl this topic for questions to ask. I have never ever employed anybody, so am a bit worried about that aspect of it...

lollystix Sat 10-Sep-11 22:36:32

Re post how you get on pacificdogwood as I'll have 4 and people keep telling me I need a nanny as opposed to private nursery. It all seems a bit scary and complicated to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now