Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Quick poll - how much do you pay your babysitter????

(29 Posts)
peckhammummy Wed 31-Aug-11 19:44:34

OUr fabulous regular babysitter has just put her rates up quite considerably. I wanted to do a quick poll to find out how much other people pay. Can you let me know whether the babysitter is a student or nursery staff, whether you are in London or not and what their hourly rate is before and after midnight,

Many thanks

rubyslippers Wed 31-Aug-11 19:52:34

If it isn't my nanny then between £7 and £10 per hour, plus a lift home if late

I also leave snacks etc

Am in the south east

rubyslippers Wed 31-Aug-11 19:53:43

By the way if you have a fabulous, relaible babysitter then that is also something to consider

bubaluchy Wed 31-Aug-11 20:21:31

£7 per hour

Whizkidwithacrazystreak Wed 31-Aug-11 20:35:43

£8 in South West

reddaisy Wed 31-Aug-11 20:36:36

We don't really give an hourly rate as such, usually give her between £25 and £30 and it is usually from 7pm - 11pm ish. We are not in London but we are in the south. She also has to travel a 25 mile round trip to babysit so often we round it up.

We were just talking about going to the cinema before our imminent next baby arrives but decided it wasn't worth the £50+ it would cost us with tickets, petrol, parking and a babysitter.

ChitChattingaway Wed 31-Aug-11 20:36:43

£8 per hour - primary school teacher (NOT at my DS''s school!). So qualified, but not a nanny. Actually works better because she can start much earlier than nannies can. smile

LawrieMarlow Wed 31-Aug-11 20:37:17

£5 an hour (teenage babysitter) in Yorkshire. Don't think there has been any going out after midnight.

I charge £12 an hr locally and £15 an hr if have to travel but often negotiate/offer discounts, have a couple families walking distance from me I charge £8 to. I charge a min 3hrs and dont have a booking fee.

I am a highly qualified and highly experienced night nanny and babysitter and a qualified childrens nurse- without blowing my own trumpet smile

I think you pay what you can afford for what your needs maybe some people pay a teenager £15-£20 for an eve but they havent gone far, children in bed and the teenager has someone local to call on and thats suits them. Other people want a very experienced person maybe because they have a tiny baby, lots of children, no-one to call on nearby in an emergency, going out for long period, have child/ren with medical or additional needs.

ChitChattingaway Wed 31-Aug-11 20:55:11

Whoops - £8 was in Surrey, outside the M25.

Also if I'm just down the road at the pub having a meal I pay a local teenager £5 an hour.

anewyear Wed 31-Aug-11 21:04:45

Our friends son babysits for us, hes 19, no childcare experience but then my boys are nearly (in next couple of weeks) 10 & 13.
We give him £5 ph.
We're in Hertfordshire.

SleepyCaz Wed 31-Aug-11 21:09:18

£20 from 6.45pm to about 11.30 ish. £35 if it's going to be a very late one, say 2am. She's a good friend, she is also DD's childminder, so is CRB checked and both DC's know and love her. She usually makes herself some food and raids the biscuits too, we encourage it smile

jugglingwiththreeshoes Wed 31-Aug-11 21:14:55

Wow, I'm surprised at the high rates going here.
We have a lovely friend who came to us on placement as a child care student who seems very happy with £5/hour for looking after our two - but she is very fond of them. She works in nursery these days.
We should ask her a bit more often really as it's a great win-win all round !

apotomak Wed 31-Aug-11 22:14:48

I take £5/h inside M25 but NOT in Greater London. I'm a registered childminder so I am fully insured while I babysit. I travel at my own cost. And I still give some money to the taxman.

JinxyCat Thu 01-Sep-11 01:14:49

We pay our friend's daughter (19, very responsible, has a younger sister so good experience) £7.50 per hour, and we either pay for her cab home - or take her home ourselves. We live in London.

Our friends have a babysitter they found through their nursery who charges £8 per hour before midnight, and £10 per hour after.

JinxyCat Thu 01-Sep-11 01:16:21

Oh, and we use our friend's daughter when our live-in nanny can't help us - and we pay our live-in nanny £7.50 per hour too (and are generally home by midnight so haven't negotiated a 'post midnight' rate before)

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Thu 01-Sep-11 07:50:50

I am a very experienced daily/night nanny and charge £10 per hour between 7pm - midnight and £15 an hour at all other times and a minimum of 4 hours paid per booking.. I am in Herts.

Lily311 Thu 01-Sep-11 12:25:55

I'm in sw London and I charge £9 an hour for min of 4 hours. I have my own transport though and I am quailified, and have 8 years experience. My brother is in SW London too, he charges £25 for 4 hours, he is 22 with 1 year experience.

SiamoFottuti Thu 01-Sep-11 12:30:01

€8 an hour.

eurycantha Thu 01-Sep-11 13:59:04

£8 an hour Sevenoaks area.I m a nanny.

harrietthespook Thu 01-Sep-11 17:23:34

GBP 8 if it's our nanny. Greater London.

redglow Thu 01-Sep-11 19:24:56

I think I need to put my rates up.

LalalalalalaSummerHoliday Thu 01-Sep-11 19:53:40

£5ph Lincs to 19 and 21yo babysitters, sitting 3 kids aged 5-9.

hocuspontas Thu 01-Sep-11 19:57:52

I think it depends where you live redglow. When I was advertising £6.50 per hour I only got nibbles. Now I charge £5.50 per hour and get repeat bookings. Would love £10 per hour - I could give up the day job!

ChitChattingaway Thu 01-Sep-11 21:02:03

You're right hocuspontass - around here there are loads of nannies, au pairs and childcare students who are asking for £10 on childcare.co.uk. A bit hmm at the childcare students.... Especially as I remember some of the nursery staff being willing to work for about £5 an hour.

But then I usually need at least 5 hours, children are either ready for bed or everything is set out for them, and will leave nibbles etc for the babysitter as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now