Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: I've not received notice in writting....

(4 Posts)
PositiveOutlook Tue 30-Aug-11 09:22:05

One of my mindees is due to start full time at a local nursery next week and although everything has been agreed verbally, I have not received anything in writing. This child had a settling in session at the nursery last week and when I asked mum she said it didn't go well and she wasn't happy with the place.

Where do I stand legally? I no longer wish to look after this child and I was on the verge of giving notice anyway. I'm just worried that mum will presume that as she hasn't given notice in writing that I will keep her child until she finds another nursery, this is not going to happen!

I know that this is my business but I'm relatively new to this and I find it really hard not to go into 'mate' mode when dealing with parents. Any advice or tales of similar situations would be appreciated.

apotomak Tue 30-Aug-11 10:38:33

I always cover myself for this occasion. I know some parents don't do written notice and when they give me verbal notice I write a letter saying that following the conversation we had (date) I'm writing to tell you that the last day of care for X will be DATE.
I would expect a verbal notice to be equally binding but I would double check with your insurer. She can't make you have the child.

Strix Tue 30-Aug-11 13:02:21

I agree. Write her a letter confirming the specifics of the conversation, and state what you understand to be the last day you will care for x. Do this ASAP.

dmo Tue 30-Aug-11 13:20:10

i alway give a letter to parents about 4 wks priar to leaving stating the childs last day with me and the amount owed for that term (due to deposits etc) i print this letter twice and ask parents to read the letter and sign one which should be returned to me and keep one for their own records x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now