Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Where do you find "punctual" childcare?

(11 Posts)
gorionine Mon 29-Aug-11 12:36:54

If you are only working while your children are themselves in school and you only ever need childcare if one of your children is poorly so always last minute.

I have no family arround here, several lovely friends but all working pretty much full time. Also have just moved in an area where I do not yet know my neighbours enough to ask them.

So far I have had to ask for time off if poorly DCs are the young ones or left them alone at home if the eldest (never for more than 2 hours so far but from September will be pretty much workin full length of school day so not possible).

Are there any agencies for "on the spot childcar"? If so do you need to register in advance?

Pamplemoussse Mon 29-Aug-11 12:44:08

some childminders offer ad-hoc childcare but no-one will take an ill child

NannyBeth Mon 29-Aug-11 13:13:03

There are a range of temp specific agencies, depending on your area. Also quite a few 'normal' nanny agencies will know of nannies who are between jobs or looking for ad hoc or temp work so may be able to help. I would call in advance to register though as the last thing you need when your child is ill etc is to have to go through all the questions etc etc especially if you are worrying about whether you'll make it to work at all, or on time!

Google ad hoc childcare or something into google with your area and see what comes up?

gorionine Mon 29-Aug-11 13:30:33

I Had not thought about that Pamplemousse but I had thought child minder would need to keep a place for me and I cannot afford to pay for an empty places for children who might or might not be poorly.

I will google something and see what comes up, thanks NannyBeth. I was wondering if anyone actually knew agencies that they had already used themselves and could either recommend or advise to stay clear of them.

NannyBeth Mon 29-Aug-11 16:48:41

It depends on your area though. I know of a couple of agencies that do this kind of thing in SW London if that helps? If not, im not particularly helpful! Haha. Sitters would probably get you cover nationwide but I personally don't use them as they pay rubbish and are extremely rude!

cjbartlett Mon 29-Aug-11 16:52:15

I think if your child is poorly they'll need someone they know not a stranger tbh

cjbartlett Mon 29-Aug-11 16:53:56

Also if they got sick at school they'd feel pretty rotten being picked up by someone they didn't know , sorry but it just isn't feasible IMO
Me & dh don't have help either so we have to take unpaid or paid leave

ChitChattingaway Mon 29-Aug-11 19:36:59

Not Sitters - they want notice and aren't necessarily that great for day time care anyway. I joined just to get occasional daytime care and never even ended up paying the registration fee as they couldn't find someone with 2 weeks notice!!!! (Fee is only payable with successful first booking.)

cansu Mon 29-Aug-11 20:05:03

I have exactly same problem but managed to find a PT nanny who wanted to top up her hours on free days who halps me out when she can. It isn't a cheap option but for occasional childcare it works for me. It also makes me wish I could afford nanny all the time as it is fab to have someone come to you and be totally focused on your dc!

cansu Mon 29-Aug-11 20:05:48

forgot to say found her on gumtree. You could always post an ad and see what response you get.

Ripeberry Mon 29-Aug-11 20:13:46

If you child is ill, you take time off work. That is life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now