Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Pregnant childminder

(7 Posts)
heartmoonshadow Mon 29-Aug-11 08:43:13

Hi I am about to start minding after jumping through all the OFSTED hoops and I have found out I am about 5 weeks pregnant. Do I have to tell OFSTED or my mindee parents at the moment as I want to keep this secret. It will mean I have to give up a couple of children (an under 3 and a schoolie) closer to my due date but I really just thought I would keep quiet as long as possible at least until I have had scans.

I am sure I will need to do a risk assessment but to be honest I have my own under 3 so anything I do for him I will be doing for the others so it makes no difference really.

Anyway thanks for any advice

HMS

pollywollyhadadollycalledmolly Mon 29-Aug-11 10:08:02

I would let parents know when you feel comfortable and when you tell everyone else. If you are telling friends and family at 12 weeks then tell your parents at 12 week.

Have you tohught about what maternity leave you are going to do?

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 29-Aug-11 11:25:49

Personally, i'd feel very cheated if after finding new childcare that i'd have to disrupt that care a few months down the line so I think you should be honest.

How do you plan to cover appointments? Are you expecting parents to take time off?

xmyboys Mon 29-Aug-11 11:41:02

I agree, tell them when you are ready and after your scans. Five weeks is very early and no woman should feel pressured to share this news any earlier than possible. Good luck

harrietthespook Mon 29-Aug-11 15:43:45

This could happen with anyone you engage to look after your children. It's just one of those things. A 'care giver' could always quit for other reasons too, there are never any gaurantees.

It's very early days and I agree with xmyboys - you shouldn't feel pressured to tell at five weeks.

thebody Mon 29-Aug-11 16:22:17

do what you are comfertable with.

happymummy it works both ways, a parent can become pregnant and decide child care costs are too expensive for another sibling and give notice to cm..thats life.

do what you feel happy with as a parent when I chose a childminder with her own child I know their is the very slight possiblity she may become pregnant whilst he is there but I didnt let that affect any decision I made for childcare.

Think about how you will cover appointments and also what mat leave you will take

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now