Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CAR SEATS IN THE FRONT

(6 Posts)
magicOC Sun 28-Aug-11 19:43:18

Hi, can someone pls clear up this confusion.

I've been told that it is illegal to carry rear facing baby car seats in the front passenger seat and can in fact make your insurance invalid.

My understanding was that as long as there was no active airbag in the front then you could carry a baby seat.

Has the law been changed then?

I tried looking it up on-line, but, couldn't find it.

TIA

This doesn't affect me at the moment, but, may do when I buy the new car as the one I have at the moment, the airbag cannot be deactivated.

Tweetinat Sun 28-Aug-11 19:45:22

No, it's not illegal providing there is no airbag or it has been deactivated. Just had the same issue with DS travelling to CM with DH who has a two seater...

magicOC Sun 28-Aug-11 19:54:42

Tweet that was what I thought, but, was told different.
Thanks for answering so quick.

nannynick Sun 28-Aug-11 20:06:48

Child Care Seats: The Law from RoSPA.

"It is illegal to carry a child in a rear-facing child seat in the front, which is protected by an active frontal airbag."

When looking at new cars, only consider ones where you can deactivate the airbag via the use of a key lock.

magicOC Sun 28-Aug-11 20:13:17

Nick, knew I could rely on you smile

My new one does deactivate (chosen right down to the colour, but, not bought yet).

I had to ask tho as quite a few people were insisting they were right..

HSMM Sun 28-Aug-11 21:25:34

I had my front air bag deactivated so that I could use the front seat for babies. The front seat belt is longer than the rear ones and easier to fit a seat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now