Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Starting nannyshare - advice please!

(14 Posts)
Slayer Sat 27-Aug-11 16:23:56

Hi there,

We are starting a nannyshare, with the other child coming to our house.

How much more should we offer our nanny per hour? I'm thinking of offering £2 per hour, but no idea if thats mean of generous.

Also, do we need separate insurance? Our nanny is ofsted registered so I think has insurance with that, but not sure if we need insurance for our premises.

Any advice really gratefully received.


Lily311 Sat 27-Aug-11 16:32:38

How much does she get now? How many children? I do a share and I get £2.90 more for 2 families than for one.

Bananamash Sun 28-Aug-11 09:24:52

Well i have never done a share but know someone who has. She was paid 50% more- so instead of £10 per hour, it was £15, with each family paing £7.50.

Oligo Sun 28-Aug-11 12:42:00

What percentage increase is that? net or gross? where are you? For me it was increase from £11 to 13/hour net in central london.

Slayer Tue 30-Aug-11 09:46:27

Hi all,
thanks for the replies. She gets £12 ph gross from us (first employer, so that works out at perhaps £10.50ph I guess?). She will be doing the share only during school hours when our other kids are at school, so when sharing she will just have our 18 month old, and this new one year old.

Oglio - sounds like the increase is similar to you, but the others are higher - wondering if £2 is too low. But its only 2 kids... (young tho).

For those of you who are nannies, do you know if we need extra insurance, or is the nanny's insurance sufficient?

Many thanks for all your help!

Oligo Tue 30-Aug-11 20:02:03

check your home insurance as it may already have emplyers liability insurance on it for domestic help- you need to have this as a nanny employer anyway.
I suppose there may be some use for public liabilty insurance in case the other family sue you if they think there was negligence in your home environment etc. that caused harm to their child but never heard of employers having this and wouldn't know where to go.
It's not the number of children that bump up the cost it's working for two diff. families/sets of parents; sometimes compromising holidays etc.

So you are adding 2£ net or gross. Either way it is not an unreasonable amount and you can always increase it at yearly pay review if you think necessary (or if circumstances change).

Slayer Wed 31-Aug-11 19:55:21

Hi Oligo - thanks v much.

I have clearly opened can of worms - I dont have employers liability insurance either! I shall check it out, thanks.

nannynick Wed 31-Aug-11 20:11:54

Employers liability is generally part of your home contents insurance... so checking your home insurance documents would be a first step to see what cover that insurance provides.

mranchovy Wed 31-Aug-11 20:37:19

> I suppose there may be some use for public liabilty insurance in case the other family sue you if they think there was negligence in your home environment etc. that caused harm to their child but never heard of employers having this

Most people have this as part of their contents insurance, it is even more common than employers liability for domestic employees.

Slayer Wed 31-Aug-11 21:28:34

Thanks all -

We don't have home insurance... do any of you know where to get just employers liability insurance? I've been looking online and v tricky (none of the online forms set up for people employing a nanny - all targeted at businesses).

I'd like to get a quote for employers liability only - if expensive will get home contents insurance as well

nannynick Wed 31-Aug-11 21:48:57

Hiscox do Emplolyers Liability but they don't give a price. Probably best to phone them rather than do online, as you are not a normal business.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 31-Aug-11 21:51:07

Why don't you have home insurance? shock

mranchovy Wed 31-Aug-11 23:44:22

OK, you NEED employer's liability insurance, it is a legal requirement.

You NEED public liability insurance to deal with any claim following an accidident involving the other child in your house.

Whilst you may have decided not to have contents insurance in the past, you will probably want it going forward, and with accidental damage cover unless you want to foot the bill for paint spillage on the carpet/television knocked over/bath overflowing/any number of other potential accidents involving children being cared for in your home.

Oh, if you are renting your home you will probably need your landlord's permission for the nanny share.

chandellina Thu 01-Sep-11 19:09:16

my insurer said anyone in my home was covered by my contents insurance and an employee wouldn't need any separate cover. we rented until recently and it wasn't an issue.
on pay, our nanny gets £10.50 net per hour in SE London. It's pretty much her normal rate - she realised a bit late she might have gotten more but she's happy with the job now and we did give her a pay rise and bonuses, etc. IMO £12 net is the upper limit - there the odd story of £15 but that seems to be very rare.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: