Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Found Out Nanny Seeking Work

(10 Posts)
doggus Thu 25-Aug-11 23:56:08

Has anyone got any advice please on how to handle this situation? We have employed a nanny who has been with us for over two months. There have been teething problems but I thought we were all settling down well. I have found out that she is advertising online for a new job....what to do? I am going to chat to her to see if she has any outstanding issues but if she just says no?

She is paid above the local going rate, but has made a few comments to another friend that she is not keen on us (parents) being round a lot (which we are).

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 26-Aug-11 00:09:16

Many nannies are unhappy when parents are around. It "feels" like distrust. Did you point out how much you'd be around in your ad/interview, and is she new to the job?

doggus Fri 26-Aug-11 00:34:19

We told her how much we would be around as we work from home! She has sole charge though and is out and about a lot. This is her second job.

nannyl Fri 26-Aug-11 07:59:06

There really isnt much you can do IMO

she is entitled to look for a new job if she wants to...

though bear in mind if you are only her second job, and she wanting to leave after such a short time this should start alarm bells ringing with any new potential employers. She cant have a track history of staying in a job long, with only 1 other job, and most nannies find the crucial when looking for the next job...

LynetteScavo Fri 26-Aug-11 08:04:45

If she has only been with you for two months, are you sure the online advertising isn't left over from before she came to you?

doggus Fri 26-Aug-11 14:04:31

Lynette - unfortunately yes amd sure as has been updated.

I know there's nothing we can do but should I tell her I know she's looking for another job? Or will that be even more awkward? And I suppose I should start looking myself - SIGH.

Karoleann Fri 26-Aug-11 22:11:00

I think you just need to broach the subject an I know we've had this chat about if you're happy already, but i noticed you've your advert and I'd much rather part on good terms. etc......
Incidentally, I've always had shared care nannies and never had any problems, I don't think there should be any distrust problems as long as the nanny is doing her job properly.
If you do get a new nanny, I'd really recommend doing a nanny manual that outlines everything you expect (it needs to have some good stuff too like you're happy to get food in she likes for lunch, things about the nanny kitty)

doggus Fri 26-Aug-11 23:16:55

A nanny manual is a great idea particularly as we have more than one nanny.

It's all really sad as ds had bonded with her after a rocky start. I hate this happening to him. I shall try and chat and see if we can rectify any wrongs I guess.

Jude89 Sat 27-Aug-11 22:24:13

Have you been looking for a new nanny?

How did you find out?

Talk to her ask her what's going on.

Oligo Sun 28-Aug-11 12:59:55

When you say working from home are you unpredicatbly in and out of their line of sight/hearing? This can be very unsettling even when established in a job. It can really depends on how parents handle things and what expectations they have explained to the nanny for when they come into/leave the area. If the nanny gets undermined (usually unintentionally) during bonding it can be difficult to undo.
I find when parents are around at the beginning of a position I often feel like I over-play to keep the child from thinking about or going away to look for mum or play in the room next to office etc. and necessary things like cooking, cleaning up and tidying etc. give opportunities for child to remember/hear parents are around.
Going out all the time might be a way to avoid being in if she's unhappy around the house.
I would want my employer's to raise it with me if they knew. Thing is though if she doesn't find anything else you both know it is not your first choice of arrangement which could either clear the air or make things very awkward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now