Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

MMR Jabs

(5 Posts)
Rudgey Thu 25-Aug-11 13:09:01

Can I please ask CM's if you can/do/want to insist your mindees have the MMR jab. I know there was talk about schools insisting on children have this jab before they are allowed to start school. Just wanted to see if it is something that CM's should insist on to protect their own children as even when they do have the jabs, they are not 100% protected. Many thanks in advance

apotomak Thu 25-Aug-11 13:40:20

Childminders can't insist on anything ... nor can schools. All jabs are optional.

HSMM Thu 25-Aug-11 14:02:36

apotomak - I'm assuming Rudgey is asking if she can refuse to take on a child who has not had the jab. Or is this discrimination?

Rudgey - How would you know? Parents might show you their 'red book', but they might not. Some parents would tell you, others would not.

I have not refused care to anyone so far, but who knows if my feelings will change...

kelly2000 Thu 25-Aug-11 14:07:17

If you are a CM, then no-one can force you to take on a child you do not want to mind, although as apotomak says you cannot insist your mindees do have the vaccination. I would speak to your GP about the protection given by the vaccination if you are worried about exposing your own children to unvaccinated children. As far as I am aware it is possible to get the vaccinations as seperate vaccinations rather than the triple MMR, but I am not sure if you have to pay for it

Rudgey Thu 25-Aug-11 14:08:49

I don't have strong feelings about it, I just wanted to find out if anyone else felt that you should have the option in order to protect you children. Apotomak, I was just saying that there had been some kind of discussion in local councils as to whether they should insist on the jabs before attending school and that is as far as it goes. With the recent outbreaks of measles and mumps around the country it just got me thinking of how to do the best by my own children and the other children in my care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now