Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

If I wanted my sister to look after my baby...

(13 Posts)
NewlyConvertedFordLover Wed 24-Aug-11 20:35:58

and pay her to do so, does she need to be a registered childminder, even though she is family? I can't remember the rules.

If the answer is yes (and I'm guessing it will be due to insurance etc.), would it be very difficult/expensive to train as a childminder? Bearing in mind she wouldn't be looking at caring for anyone else's child, I doubt she would want to put herself through a lot of extra work or expense in order to care for her neice.

Thanks in advance.

ohnoshedittant Wed 24-Aug-11 20:53:23

If she comes to your house to look after the baby and is therefore a nanny she doesn't need to register anywhere, although nanny insurance is still a good idea. You won't be able to use childcare vouchers to pay her though unless she is registered.

As far as I'm aware you cannot register as a childminder for the sole purpose of looking after a family-members child. If she wanted to register as a childminder she would be required to take in other people's children aswell.

nannynick Wed 24-Aug-11 20:53:33

No, she does not need to be a registered childminder to care for a neice or nephew.

NewlyConvertedFordLover Wed 24-Aug-11 21:00:46

Thanks for your replies. She would rather not register as a childminder as she doesn't want to look after other children or be bound by EYFS, she just expressed an interest in helping me out (for which I would want to compensate her for!) as her youngest is about to start school so she will have the free time.

So to give a bit more detail, she would look after baby in her own home not mine. I would pay her, but as we are not eligible for help with childcare costs I doubt that would matter. So, would she have to register as self employed for tax purposes? Is that tricky? Sorry for all the questions, thanks for reading.

crazycarol Fri 26-Aug-11 23:37:03

I had a similar situation when I returned to work & my SIL looked after dd. I dropped her off there in the morning. I didn't pay her as such I just gave her some spending money for my nieces & some extra special christmas presents. It was only for 3 days a week.

redglow Sat 27-Aug-11 11:57:00

Who would know if she was doing it for cash or as a favour only you and her.

HoneyPablo Sat 27-Aug-11 12:05:58

It says here that she doesn't need to be registered if she is caring for a blood relative.

hayleysd Sat 27-Aug-11 16:31:26

If you are paying her to care for them for more than 2 hours a day in her home she does need to register but would have to take on others to be able to be inspected as far as I know. You could then claim tax credits if you're eligible towards the cost which you can't if she doesn't register.

I am a Childminder and look after my niece, I didn't register to look after her though, that happened after. I still have to do all the same paperwork etc as I am being paid to do it, if I wasn't I wouldn't have to but I cannot afford to give up one of my precious early years places for free.

jendot Wed 31-Aug-11 11:48:00

It was my understanding that you would not need to register to care for a niece or nephew in your own home. You could be paid for this..BUT it would be an 'income' and therefore you would need to pay her tax and NI and 'employ' her if you are going to do it 'legally' You would not be able to get any help towards paying for your childcare with her (but it sounds like this isn't an issue anyway).

hayleysd Wed 31-Aug-11 13:23:53

What jendot described is childminding and yes you do need to register as it is illegal not to, to employ her she would need to work at your house and would be a nanny

An0therName Wed 31-Aug-11 18:57:31

from the ncma it does seem that its not clear -maybe ring them and ask - i think she would need to declare her income through

nannynick Wed 31-Aug-11 19:18:05

No, she does not need to be a registered childminder to care for a neice or nephew.
[[ Childcare Act 2006 - 18(4)(c) - Childcare does not include care provided for a child by a relative.

Yes, she should declare the income... could register as self employed I think. Best to get advice from an accountant or someone like that. It would be doubtful if she would earn enough to pay tax, though depends on what other income she may have and how much you would be paying her.

nannynick Wed 31-Aug-11 19:18:32

Childcare Act 2006 - 18(4)(c)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: