Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny advice for a novice - what can I expect?

(3 Posts)
PrincessScrumpy Wed 24-Aug-11 12:21:59

DD1 went to a CM and at 3 switched to nursery/preschool. All very simple and straight forward.

Now I'm having twins in a week and a half and a lady up my road (who has 6yo twins) suggested her old Nanny may be interested. She has a 1yo baby so it would be a slightly reduced rate. When I return to work, I only want to go back 2/ 3 days a week max 8.30am-3pm, term time only. Basically, with nursery I won't earn enough to cover 2 children in childcare. Am I asking too much? (probably)

would I be able to claim childcare tax credits (not sure if we'll be entitled as we weren't with dd1) and childcare vouchers from work?

Are there any other ways I can go back to work? - I think I'll need a little adult time and never planned to be a SAHM, hence the age gap between dd1 and dc2 (dc3 was obviously a very happy surprise). Any ideas?

nannynick Wed 24-Aug-11 13:02:46

Sounds like this person would be caring for DTs plus their own child (plus on occasion DD1 if say DD1 was mildly ill, so not well enough to go to school but not so unwell that you felt the need to stay at home to care for her).
You have mentioned DC2 and DC3... are they the same as DTs or different?

Baby twins and a toddler may be a bit of a big ask for a new nanny, but this person has had prior experience of twins, so may not be such a big ask especially as one of the children is their own.

If you are in England (it helps to know which country you are in), then the nanny would need to be registered with Ofsted in order that you were able to use Childcare Vouchers or Childcare Tax Credits. I have a guide for nannies about Ofsted Registration which may be worth a read so you know what sort of things Ofsted are expecting in terms of paperwork and training.

I don't believe you can claim Childcare Tax Credit and Childcare Vouchers... I think it's one or the other.

You will need to look into the costs of employing a nanny. There are many message threads on here about that, including how to go about calculating things like Holiday Entitlement when someone is only working school term time. The cost isn't just their salary... there is more things on top which need to be considered - it is hard to put a figure on those additional costs as it will vary depending on what you want your children doing during the day.

PrincessScrumpy Wed 24-Aug-11 14:03:43

Thank you. I have a feeling it'll cost more that I earn but I'm clutching at straws.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now