Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pair / Manny - where to advertise?

(7 Posts)
mistlethrush Mon 22-Aug-11 16:52:45

I have a friend that wants to do a part-time Access course so that he can work his way through the course helping with childcare in a family situation - he wants to study to become a junior school teacher. What are the best places for him to look or sites to register on?

If you would contemplate a male carer for your children, what would make a potential candidate stand out for you?

(He's currently working in a childrens nursery, working towards an nvq and has younger siblings that he looks after, so he's not completely unqualified for the job!)

StillSquiffy Mon 22-Aug-11 19:03:55

I get my male APs from great au pair and au pair world. I look for men who are realistic in their profiles - the ones that say "I'm not that great at ironing but I know it's part of the job, don't worry". That kind of thing. Other than that I don't look for anything in particular that's different from what I look for in females (Experience, references, first aid, CRB if poss, driving licence etc).

TBH mentioning the younger siblings would put me off - it's what all the people who have no proper childcare experience say, so stick with the nursery setting as the main selling point.

mistlethrush Mon 22-Aug-11 19:32:30

THanks squiffy - very helpful.

He has the experience (job) a first aid qualification, crb for the current job etc - and can work on driving license again if he has some money! (Don't think that will go in though)

kelly2000 Wed 24-Aug-11 23:56:38

he could try an agency.

mistlethrush Thu 25-Aug-11 00:44:36

Any one in particular?

nannyl Thu 25-Aug-11 08:31:54

id go though normal nanny agencies cause they cant discriminate for being male.

BUT most of the agencies require qualification And / or (at least)2 years nannying experience, so that may be a hurdle for him to over come...

He could put his CV on nannyjob, childcare.co.uk / netmums etc and see what responce he gets, and also keep an eye on gumtree

mistlethrush Thu 25-Aug-11 09:35:54

Thanks Nannyl - will suggest that. Not sure whether I dare suggest netmums... but might venture across before referring him there and see whether there might be anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now