Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Best place to look for a childminder? and I am a shiftworker will I ever find someone ...

(6 Posts)
zogthedragon Fri 19-Aug-11 15:14:20

So, after long years training I now am a qualified nurse and have a job (yay!) my husband is Forces just to further complicate the situation but we have managed to make a plan and I think having a childminder will work apart from about 6 weeks in Sept/Oct when I will finish late and he will be away.

So, my first question is where is best to look for a childminder, I've tried childcare.co.uk but you have to pay a subscription and a vaugely remember there being a free resource where you could search by the school you needed pick ups from. Do childminders advertise anywhere else?

My second question is I will usually need before and after school care on 2 fixed days a week and DH will collect at 5.30pm BUT the 6 weeks he is away I will still be working my shift of 8am - 9pm so will need someone to collect the kids, bring them home and put them to bed. Will agency babysitters like Sitters do this do you think or not? Sadly we don't have any family nearby who can take up the slack.

Any other suggestion would be very welcome.

LesbianMummy1 Fri 19-Aug-11 17:48:18

what area are you in?

Also try netmums or your local childcare information service

nannynick Fri 19-Aug-11 19:02:19

Your local Family Information Service run by your local or county council is the first place to look. They have a list of all Registered Childminders.

The free resource you remember no longer exisits. It was called Childcarelink. The function of that is now run at a local council/county council level. In some areas they have the information online... though some childminders may choose not to list themselves online. So often better getting the full list by contacting the Family Information Service (or whatever they are known as in your area).
Visit your council website and search for Childcare... should then tell you who to contact.

I would not have thought that agency babysitters would collect children. However a local babysitter might, though it would depend on the transport needed. Once you find a childminder they may know of a local babysitter. You could try advertising on NetMums local childcare board, on Childcare.co.uk, putting a postcard ad in local newsagents shop window etc.

mousesma Fri 19-Aug-11 19:38:32

The NAFIS website has a list of all family information services in England see here

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Mon 22-Aug-11 08:31:39

Where are you based, OP?

Tigresswoods Mon 22-Aug-11 12:17:45

Some childminders (mine!) will do this sort of thing. Its the mix between being happy to not have a life and needing the money!

Where are you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now