Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

When does a babysitter become a nanny?

(3 Posts)

I have an acquaintance who's asked me to look after her 3 year old most Saturdays from the hours of 8am until 5pm, in her home. She also would need me to stay overnight in her house once a fortnight when she works until 4am. I would have to do everything this entails (preparing meals, trips to the park etc etc). She is calling this babysitting and it's just got me wondering.......surely this more of a nannying role? What's the difference?

nannynick Fri 19-Aug-11 16:43:43

As it's regular fixed days, fixed hours mostly, then yes I would agree it's more being a nanny.

How is it to be contracted though... are you going to be able to turn down the work whenever you like?

Looking at the bigger picture, what else do you do income wise... are you for example doing lots of little bits of childcare work without commitment?

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Aug-11 21:51:02

i generally call babysitting looking after children who are in bed/about to go to bed

during the day its proper childcare and nannying

the night you stay over are you doing 8am to 4am - so really 7/8am till you wake up so 24hr care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now