Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What would you charge?

(9 Posts)
Bananamash Thu 18-Aug-11 19:56:47

Just a bit of an ask....

I've seen an ad on a childcare website where a mum is asking for help with the school run on an ad hoc basis, just a few times a month. The school is not close to where she lives, about 15min drive away and then she wants the toddler dropped off at a nursery about ten min drive further on. Then obviously the person would have a similar length drive home.

I'm guessing this is normally a nightmare sort of position to fill. It will take someone at least half an hour of their time just on the outward run- probably more considering taking children in and setting them up for their day, and is cutting into time when someone would normally start work.

How much do you think is a reasonable amount to pay for such a service?

Bananamash Thu 18-Aug-11 20:02:06

Forgot to say, the milage is only just under 11 miles- but rush hour traffic etc means that it will take at least the above stated times.

Bananamash Fri 19-Aug-11 21:57:11

Bump!!

Any ideas anyone?

The family in question have contacted me and have asked what sort of money I would expect.

I originally thought, milage costs @ 45p per mile, plus time on the job where I would normally be paid as a nanny at £8 net ph.

I asked another nanny who I know well and she said she would charge a higher rate per hour as it was ad hoc work and would charge for the time there and back, because of the fact that it would mean I would not be able to do any other sort of work on those days as obviously I wouldn't be available when parents were leaving for work.

She also pointed out rather realistically that in rush hour traffic there is no way I will be able to do the second bit of the run quickly and she thought it would take at least an hour, probably more, from the moment I picked them up, drive to school, take the little boy to his classroom, helped him out of his coat and into indoor shoes etc, walk the toddler back to the car, drive through the town in rush hour to nursery, to the moment I had settle the toddler in etc and walked out.

But that makes it a rather expensive school run...

I would quite like the position as I currently work part time, slightly less hours than I would like, because I love the family, the kids are adorable. So the odd few days per month would be handy. Like anyone, I have bills to pay etc and no one works just for the love of it, so I want to make sure I am not underselling my service but also I want to be fair to the family. My lovely nanny friend said she thought i should do it for £18- so not charge for milage, but charge for the time it would take to get back etc, and round it up! But then she is paid 43k (gross) to look after one baby for 4.5 days per week, so maybe she has a slightly rosey perspective!

Just realised I forgot to say we are just within the M25, in Hertfordshire.

Would be thankful for any contributions.

mranchovy Fri 19-Aug-11 22:59:44

First of all you can't charge for mileage otherwise you have to register as a taxi and fulfil all kinds of requirements, so you must charge an all in rate (you still need to ensure that your motor insurers know exactly what you are doing and will cover you).

If I were you I'd like to know a bit more about how flexible they need you to be - for instance could they commit to paying you for at least 3 or 4 times a month?

Now for a big bugbear of mine YOU DON'T EARN £8 NET in your other job, you earn whatever your gross pay is and then tax and NI are deducted to leave you with the equivalent of £8 per hour. A full time nannying job (50 hours) at £8 per hour requires a gross rate of £10.43 per hour, so this is what your time is worth - and because this position would be self employed, the employer will not have to pay holiday pay, sick pay, employers' NI etc - worth at least 25% on top of your hourly rate. So you are probably worth £13 per hour self employed. 20 miles at 45p per mile is £9 so I think you should be looking for at least £22 and would probably start out suggesting £25, but be prepared to negotiate.

hangon Sat 20-Aug-11 13:14:23

Surely this is the sort of job you could do for cash? All nannies charge for mileage.

nannynick Sat 20-Aug-11 15:54:41

I would guess it would hard to find someone able to do it, at a price the parents feel they could afford. Are the parents not giving any indication as to what they would be prepared to pay?
You will need to consider your costs - car seats, car insurance, public liability insurance, fuel, wear and tear, your time, taxation, all sorts of costs.

You also need to look at how it would fit with your existing work. The parent is wanting ad-hoc, so it could be on any day of the week, it might be once a month, might be more often. Is it worth the hassle given the money that you would make after expenses... only you can decide that.

Bananamash Sat 20-Aug-11 23:54:37

Hi there,

Thanks very much for your help.

Well, I have said to them I currently do one full day per week for my family so I could never be available on a Tuesday.

Nope, thus far they have said it would be as and when they would need me, but they would know in advance, but no commitment to a set number of days.

I will go back to them with the suggestions, and most importantly the very logical explanations for the costs and see what they say. I guess if I were a parent, and not thought it through taking into consideration the above, I would think it a jolly expensive school run, and be quite surprised at the cost. But as Nick says, i would guess it would not be a popular job....

I will give them a call in the morning and see what they say. I'll update you!

Thanks again

ChippingIn Sun 21-Aug-11 14:59:38

Bananamash - tricky isn't it. Have you spoken to them yet?

Bananamash Wed 24-Aug-11 15:57:46

Hi chipping,

Just thought i would let you know the outcome.

The terms changed slightly, in that i am now just doing the school run for the older one. This meant it won't take as long, nor be as far. I suggested £18.30, working on petrol costs and a slightly higher rate as it will take less time. The family said they are happy with this and will be contacting me with more dates shortly, having given me four dates during September.

So very pleased with how it worked out.

Thanks to all for the help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now