Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Chidren left in car asleep at childminders? also payment whilst the childmindr is on holiday..

(16 Posts)
droppedby Thu 18-Aug-11 13:39:52

Hi all..I have just popped over from "gransnet" as that is my usual place lol.
Will try and make it brief.2 queries?
1) Daughter found C/M just before 6 weeks hols been there 4 weeks and ok...childminder has booked a weeks holiday (no problem with that) but states that daughetr has! to pay full amount for that week even t
hough the C/M is not available) daughter hasnt as yet signed contract...when my daughter went to C/M many moons ago.when she was young.I paid a retainer if we were on holiday? any help please or is it between daughter and C/M can each C/M choose what they state in contract?
2) Also the C/M leaves the little ones asleep in car if they are asleep..!! and unless they have CTV (im not sure if they have)! as yet....then there is no way they can see the children other than keep going out or going to the front porch to check on them..they sit round the back of the house.. my daughter had to tell her them that one of the little ones was awake in the car last week..C/M said "well she hasnt pressed the buzzer!!!!...I asked my grandson who is 5 has he been left in the car (he does drop off to sleep) he said yes!!!! bear in mind a 5 yr old is quite capable of unlocking the doors getting out etc etc ..it doenst bare thinking about!! apparently there is a buzzer of some sort that the children have to press when they wake!!they are about 2/3 yrs old...I was and still am quite shocked at this...but am I behind times....any feedback would be appreciated many thanks..

looneytune Thu 18-Aug-11 13:47:04

1) Lots of CMs charge full fees for their holiday (NCMA recommend we do), however I don't and many others don't too. This is between the CM and your DD but tbh, they are both silly for entering into this without a contract!

2) That's terrible and tbh, I wouldn't use a CM who used that as a standard, especially with the 'buzzer' comment! Was CM upfront about this? Tbh, unless she can hear and/or see them at all times (i.e.knows as soon as they are awake!) then the CM is actually breaking the Welfare Requirements anyway and Ofsted would not be at all happy (IMO).

coccyx Thu 18-Aug-11 13:49:05

find another childminder. awful

looneytune Thu 18-Aug-11 13:53:26

p.s. when I was a kid, myself, my brother and sister were messing around in a campervan or similar (not sure how we got in etc) and we managed to undo the handbreak and crash into a bush (lucky that's all it was).

droppedby Thu 18-Aug-11 13:54:53

Hi looneytune and thanks for reply....C/M gave daughter contract other week but daughter just hadnt got round to signing it as she wanted to read the small print....this is the 4th week we have used her, and the 1st morningt hat gshe had to leave grandson sobbing...also no reciepts yet for 3 weeks that she has paid cash....mother and daughter run the CM..

as for the buzzer system..it was my daughter on collecting grandson that had to tell the C/M that a little one was awake in the car out the front..!! I cant comment fully as maybe there is CTV and they can see...(but they dint see the child that was awake)!! thanks for comments and help....

AlfalfaMum Thu 18-Aug-11 13:55:46

Agree, childminder sounds awful.

I would never leave a child asleep in the car, I don't think many parents would be happy with that. It's a bit careless, and you'd have to wonder what else cm is careless about.

I childmind part-time, and I get paid if they go on holiday, but not if I go away. Likewise with illness, if I can't work because thier child is ill they pay; if I can't work due to illness on my side they don't. This is our arrangement, and seems fair to both.

cat64 Thu 18-Aug-11 13:56:16

Message withdrawn

droppedby Thu 18-Aug-11 14:12:09

Think if im right CM gave daughter 3 weeks notice..but then changed to later date ..(messing daughter about)
Children in car....there wasnt just one there were 3 asleep in car one of them had woken...
Yes think we need to look elseware...apparently this CM has had at one time been reported to Offsted for having too many children....just found that out a day or so ago...thanks again.

apotomak Thu 18-Aug-11 15:06:53

The car thing is really bad and can be deadly. I would immediately ring Ofsted so that she gets a visit and an action from them to stop doing this. FGS you shouldn't leave a dog in a car why would a child be different. What if it's hot and the car gets overheated and your sleeping child dies in there. If you google this you will see how many people die in an overheated car.
As she's not singed anything yet I suggest she doesn't. Find a differet minder with a more sensible safety approach.

Pamplemoussse Thu 18-Aug-11 15:12:07

absolutely withdraw the child, leaving the children in a car is a deal breaker

Danthe4th Thu 18-Aug-11 16:10:51

That should be reported to Ofsted today.

TiaMariaMum Thu 18-Aug-11 17:40:27

I would report it to the police!

droppedby Thu 18-Aug-11 17:48:53

Hi daughters ex (grandsons dad)is picking grandson up today and seeing just whats going on....! Daughter has odd shift patterns as hospital....thanks for all your help and advice we will get this sorted out...
I will now pop back to gransnet take care all.

looneytune Sat 20-Aug-11 06:25:39

In case you come back, just wondered how you got on?

hangon Sat 20-Aug-11 13:36:48

Hop they do come back loony tune it really annoys me when we do not hear the outcome.

shelagh53 Sat 20-Aug-11 16:18:58

Hi I left childminding last month after 10 years in the job. Personally I only ever charged a quarter rate in the hols as parents find it hard enough to cope. As to the child in the car asleep this is a clear case of neglect. If I had seen it I would have reported the childminder. Get another childminder. I suggest you check the ofsted reports of each childminder which you can get access to with their EY number at the ofsted website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now