Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Taking ironing home

(7 Posts)
bubaluchy Wed 17-Aug-11 19:02:26

I am a nanny and have recently been asked if Ill take ironing home, Im happy to do this as I can just put the tele on and earn money whilst doing it, just wondering, Ill probably get £12 an hour for doing this as it is my hourly rate at work but will this work out for me financially as they have HUGE amounts of ironing (3 big baskets a week) I'm a slow ironer so if it takes me four hours to do it all from start to finish I will feel guilty asking for forty eight quid when I turn up with it all.

And then there's the electricity costs for me, irons are expensive to run..

Has anyone else been in this situation?

Any help appreciated.

MogandMe Wed 17-Aug-11 19:33:37

I would think £12 P/H would cover your electricity cost of the iron hmm

nannynick Wed 17-Aug-11 21:07:18

Why would you want to do this - I'm a nanny and I don't iron!

A local ironing service to me charges £15 per basket - not sure how big the basket is. Another charges £17 for a basket up to 3 kilos, or £21 for basket 3 to 6 kilos, then other pricing up to max of £34 for up to 13 kilos.

Maybe you should do it by weight rather than by the amount of time it takes.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 17-Aug-11 21:12:49

I'm not sure charging by the hour is the best way tbh, especially as you've said that you're a slow ironer.

MogandMe Wed 17-Aug-11 21:14:00

Agree Nick I'm loathe enough to do my 1 charges minimal ironing no way would I take on extra ironing despite the pay! grin

Lizcat Thu 18-Aug-11 08:59:59

I use a local ironing service which collects from my work place and returns the ironing 48 hours later all on hangers which they provide then I return inside plastic cleaners bags. I pay £5.70 per kilo and there is no delivery charge.
Interestingly I have an OWL and when I occasionally iron it adds about 4p per hour to my electricity consumption.

bubaluchy Thu 18-Aug-11 21:52:04

oh that's great to know re: the cost of electricity Lizcat thanks.

I am training to be a teacher and the family I nanny for are VERY accommodating with my hours, they build my working hours up around my commitments and change them according to things which come up for me throughout the term so I like to be equally flexible with them to show my appreciation as I know not all employers would be so kind.
It will be a great way to get some hours in on days where it wouldn't be cost effective fuel wise for me to to drive to work, do 2 hours at college then drive back to them later on, this is a way of getting my hours up to a level which makes my life easier financially and for them to help the smooth running of their home, so everyone's a winner it seems (hopefully)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now