Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Disaster looming: pregnant CM and about to lose 3 of biggest earners

(9 Posts)
Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 16-Aug-11 07:05:01

I have found out recently I am (unexpectedly) pregnant. Shortly before I found out, I knew that one child would be leaving me to go to a school that I cannot pick up from, another child cannot change the hours that I needed changed and the third child's grandmother is coming over from abroad to take care of him.

I will be childminding only 2 after school kids for 3 days a week each.

I need to find other kids but how can I do this knowing I will be on maternity leave (if all goes well...) for 4 months or so? Are there any other CMs in this position What did you do?

I have to look after myself and my family!

Reality Tue 16-Aug-11 07:37:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChitChattingaway Tue 16-Aug-11 08:40:13

How about advertising yourself for ad hoc care for awhile? Or that you're happy to do pick ups for children who are starting off at school part time for the first term (or do some of those weird settling in sessions).

It is really difficult for some parents to sort out that sort of childcare temporarily. If you have a local hospital nearby, then some temporary ad hoc care for the medical staff who do shift work. (But you might need to get permission to do overnight care for that).

The money might not be as reliable, but you could charge a higher rate!

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 16-Aug-11 09:05:30

Thanks for the replies and advice! I will probably need a few months off because I will have to have a C section (if all goes well - can you tell that I am worried???).
Sorry for interruption.. DS needs me

Reality Tue 16-Aug-11 09:06:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 16-Aug-11 09:09:16

grin Reality and to you, too! I am trying not to think too much about it or get too excited because of my age and the enormous risk. Rather be pessimistic than devastated if it does not work out well. Truth is, I will be devastasted anyway, even without allowing myself any hope now. sad

trish3717 Sat 20-Aug-11 11:06:57

Hi there, I have been through this, my baby was born last january, i took 4 weeks off plus an extra 2 weeks as it was over christmas time, if you pay national insurance then you are entitled to stat mat pay, it is about 130 per week, this really helped, i was lucky my parent wiated while i was on leave and came back, i then found others to fill spaces quickly. Congratulations on your pregnancy, take it easy smile

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sat 20-Aug-11 12:24:54

Trish, that is excellent news about the SMP. I thought it was £30 a week!

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Mon 22-Aug-11 08:27:55

More good news: I told the mother of a little one that was due to start with me soon that I was pregnant and she still wants to come to me (though says it is because she is not able to find anyone else at the moment!) and will be with me on a week to week basis. I cannot ask for more than that, I suppose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now