Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Quick question re paying CM

(12 Posts)
TinyWeeTeethGreatBigBite Mon 15-Aug-11 22:37:50

Hi all

I will be returning to work in a few weeks and will be using a CM for my two youngest DC. Dd2 attends nursery (pre-school) for 2.5 hours a day and dd3 will start in Dec. The CM will take them there and pick them up.

Do I pay CM for the hours they are at nursery or not? I am meeting with CM to discuss care needs and contracts etc next week but I'm trying to work out my budget/outgoings etc and would really appreciate any input.

Thanks smile

LikeACandleButNotQuite Mon 15-Aug-11 22:48:04

Each CM can arrange their own terms and condition with each set of parents, so it will be something you have to talk through with them. I imagine that if you want CM to be a 'point of contact' during nursery hours, you will have to pay her for those hours. If something happens at Nursery eg sickness, and you want Nursery to contact you to leave work, I would expect you dont pay your CM for Nursery hours.

Bear in in mind though, that if your LOs are ill during Nursery, you collect them and therefore they dont go to CMs that afternoon, she will still need paying for her 'expected' hours

cece Mon 15-Aug-11 22:50:13

It is normal here to pay the CM while they are at Nursery for that type of arrangement.

apotomak Mon 15-Aug-11 23:01:13

It's not just about the point of contact ... childminder will have no chance to fill that space while your child is at nursery. And in school holiday I assume you would like her to cover that time ....
I charge full price while a child is at nursery if I'm taking them there and collecting as well ...

TinyWeeTeethGreatBigBite Mon 15-Aug-11 23:59:07

Ok thank you. I just really didn't know and didn't think to ask on the phone. I used a CM before for eldest Dc but that was years ago and dc only a baby/toddler then so nursery not an issue. I'm not trying to get out of paying anything, just need a clear idea of my finances.

Can I ask about food? Is this usually covered in charges or paid on top? I ask because the website I've used to find contact details/profiles has different CMs offering different rates. Low end = £3-3.50 and high end £5.50-6 per hour, with nothing in between. All same local area.

I'm starting to feel like a real since grin

TinyWeeTeethGreatBigBite Tue 16-Aug-11 00:00:34

Since = dunce see what I mean?

TinyWeeTeethGreatBigBite Tue 16-Aug-11 00:03:10

Since = dunce see what I mean?

HSMM Tue 16-Aug-11 07:59:58

You will need to ask your CM all these questions, as we are all different. Some will charge while at nursery and some will not. Some will provide food and some will not.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 16-Aug-11 09:54:09

Run through it with them.
E.g. I charge full hours for one child I mind although she's going to be at nursery from 8:45 - 11:30 in September, as there's no way I could fill those hours and the Mum wants me to be first contact. I'll also be caring for her full-time during the holidays.
I do not charge extra for drinks and snacks if lunch/dinner is provided, but I can provide a cooked lunch if required and then will charge separately.

DecapitatedLegoman Tue 16-Aug-11 10:00:30

I expect to pay for hours at pre-school. I provide lunch but my CM gives snacks and drinks. Previous CMs I've used have offered meals for an extra charge and all have had different conditions for retainers/time off/sickness etc.de lunch but my CM gives snacks and drinks. Previous CMs I've used have offered meals for an extra charge and all have had different conditions for retainers/time off/sickness etc.

Poledra Tue 16-Aug-11 10:09:24

I'd write all these questions down so you don't forget what you want to know when you next see your CM. FWIW, I pay my CM when DD3 is in playgroup, for the reasons LikeaCandle gives. I do not pay for school hours for DDs 1 and 2.

Re food, my CM used to include food in her charges. However, recently she's had to start charging for meals, as her food bill was getting so high she couldn't afford it! TBH, this suits me better than an across-the-board fee rise, as my older DDs do not eat their evening meal with the CM (unlike a lot of the other children) so it's a better deal for me.

Good luck with it - my DDs adore their CM and I am so happy to leave them with her (she's had them all since they were babies, and it's like their second home smile).

TinyWeeTeethGreatBigBite Tue 16-Aug-11 10:20:53

Thanks everyone!

I will take a list of questions with me otherwise I will forget something.

I appreciate that no two CMs are the same but its helpful to have an idea of what others do.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now