Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Hypothetical "nanny with own car" question.

(10 Posts)
TheHamish Thu 11-Aug-11 20:03:32

Bear with me...

Say you employed a nanny who drove her own car and you paid mileage. Nanny had a decent car when interviewed, big enough for three kids, school bags, buggy and all the associated gubbins.

A year later, nanny started driving a not so good car due to not being able to afford repairs on decent car. Smaller, older, possibly not as sturdy.

Would this make you in any way question the nanny's ability to do her job if it involved quite a lengthy school run?

fraktious Thu 11-Aug-11 20:12:18

Does said car have a good service record, MOT, appropriate insurance etc? If so then I wouldn't worry unless it was an obvious deathtrap. I might be concerned about cat seats it fitting as well as in the other car but that's easily found out and rectified if necessary.

TheHamish Thu 11-Aug-11 20:15:31

Yes to all of those, and car seats would all fit in correctly. It would be only two booster seats and nanny's own small child would have Maxi Cosi Tobi.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 11-Aug-11 20:19:22

I'd think she was very sensible. As a former nanny with own car, well, my dad's car, the children wrecked it. My dad was furious and banned me from using it for work. As long as it is roadworthy and fits what it needs to fit then that's all you need.

nannyl Fri 12-Aug-11 09:21:13

As others have said, so long as car is road worth (taxed / insured / MOT'd etc) (and id also argue has seat belts, ie not a really really old car without belts as standard) then its up to nanny what car she drives.

If you want to decide what car your children travel in, then provide the car for use during working hours.

ytseb Fri 12-Aug-11 10:16:51

You should be able to drive any car you can affrord, if the family don't like it they can provide one. My last job I had a bmw had to change too much travelling where and tear on tires etc, changed again to a mini that turned out to be awkward with children in and out. Also children scratched inner doors. I then used my sons then none of the mums at nursery would acknowledge me because my car wasn't to there standard. My husband bought it up several times that really families should provide a vehicle, and I,m beginning to agree.

candr Mon 15-Aug-11 17:53:52

I bought my own car as was fed up of only using the mum's car (was live in so stranded if they went out) I was fine in my little run about to do local stuff but if needed to go further (motorways) used her car and petrol. I had a fairly old car but still made sure they kept it cleanish but not stressed about the odd scratch. It was insured etc and had insurance for using it for work.

redglow Mon 15-Aug-11 19:45:22

I think you have got a bit of a cheek. If you do not like the car supply one.

TheHamish Mon 15-Aug-11 20:33:09

Redglow, I am the OP and I am also a nanny who was worried that my employer may have concerns about the downgrading of my car. I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was the employer, I wanted to make it as hypothetical as possible.

Thanks for your replies everyone. No longer an issue smile

redglow Mon 15-Aug-11 21:12:05

Sorry got the wrong end of the stick glad you got sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now