Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ques for parents with children at CMs:

(16 Posts)
Numberfour Thu 11-Aug-11 15:25:49

If you arrived 15 minutes late to pick up your 2 children, would you feel the need to make some sort of apology?

I would certainly if I was that mother. As a CM I find it bewildering that the mother that picked up her two now, 15 minutes late, did not even bat an eyelid about it.

A brief apology or even acknowledgement by her that she was late would have been appreciated.
Or AIBU?

Yes, I have a late fee charge. No, I don't alway use it - it is at my discretion. Yes, I will be charging her a late fee today.

I was just curious about other people's opinions. I am rather moody and worried at the mo (and don't really feel like any crap!) so I may well BU !

gardenpixies32 Thu 11-Aug-11 15:39:05

It annoys me too! I find it so rude not to even get an apology. I posted about late collection/early drop off a few days ago. My parents like to knock on the door sometimes 15 minutes before they are due to start! Last month I had a mum announce to me that she was going to be late to pick up as she was going to her old property to collect a lawnmower! She arrived 35 minutes late, then decided to phone the estate agents in my living room and have the nerve to moan at the children who were playing loudly in there! She stayed on the phone for another 15 minutes!

I sent a letter about late collection early drop offs. It worked for a week and now the early drop offs are starting again!

Good for you charging late fees!

Dysgu Thu 11-Aug-11 16:01:14

As a parent who uses a CM, I always try to keep within my contracted times. In the morning I usually drop off 5-10 minutes after the contracted time of 7.30am and imagine that this is not a problem. Certainly CM has never said anything!

In the evenings I sometimes cut it pretty fine, arriving almost on the dot of pick-up time - but always send a text if I am going to be even a minute late. I also always apologise for being late - again, even if only by a minute or two.

On a couple of occasions, when I have had to work late or start extra early, DP has had to drop-off or pick-up either 15 minutes early or late. He is on a tight timetable as has to catch a boat to commute to work - BUT I always arrange these with loads of notice.

The ONE time in the past 2 years when I was REALLY late was because my car got blocked in at a school car park where I was visiting for the afternoon and it took ages to locate the owners - and I only had 5p credit on my PAYG phone! I used it to text DP who got in touch with CM to fully explain the situation whilst I was frantically searching!

I was 'only' 20 minutes late and felt awful! Of course, then I got caught at every red light on the way and felt even more guilty! She was lovely about it and said it was not a problem.

Can't believe that other parents treat CM's so poorly. I certainly would expect to be charged if I did this kind of thing - or worse - on a regular basis.

cat64 Thu 11-Aug-11 16:05:00

Message withdrawn

Pootles2010 Thu 11-Aug-11 16:13:34

How rude! If i'm running late I'm always in the biggest flap and v apologetic - normally call to say I'm on my way, so sorry, then probably apologisie about 10 times when I get there.

Only done it once though, and that was because the road was closed, and everyone else was in same boat.

Numberfour Thu 11-Aug-11 16:20:23

I have no problem at all with parents being late and texting me (if possible) to let me know that they will be late. I have no problem either with parents being stuck here there or where ever and then let me know.

But this assumption that it is acceptable is just not on. I am not unreasonable with my parents and expect to be treated the same.

(Hello to the one who knows me!! Don't worry.......smile)

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Thu 11-Aug-11 16:37:44

It's consideration and good manners isn't it?! I would never have just swanned in late when my dd was being minded without an apology.
I think your late charge is a good one.
I'm like you and don't mind at all if there is a good reason and I've been texted / called etc.

PippiLongBottom Thu 11-Aug-11 16:38:13

I would be mortified and would have texted en route. I would apologise profusely and offer to pay the 15 minutes.

pollywollyhadadollycalledmolly Thu 11-Aug-11 16:58:01

You ANBU smile

I've had parents like that, how just think they can drop off and pick up when ever they want. I charge per 15 minutes late at £5 (per child) and one family was 20 mintues late and sat outside for the 10 ten minutes as he 'wanted his money's worth' needless to say they didnt stay with me for long!! lol I just really dont put up with that all any more. x

Numberfour Thu 11-Aug-11 17:25:07

pollywolly: let me get this straight - a father knew he would be paying 30 min late fee after arriving 20 min late, so he made himself 10 min later so that he could get "value" for the 2 x late fees he was being paid?

Fucking hell!!! [pregnancy hormones excuse for swearing on CM forum emoticon]

nannyl Fri 12-Aug-11 09:23:04

YANBU

Very very rude!

StealthPolarBear Fri 12-Aug-11 09:30:16

In something I have read about economics it says that if you charge a late fee, parents just see it as an extension of the service - they're paying for it after all. Can see the logic- if they don't pay, you're doing them a HUGE favour, but if they pay then it's simply a transaction (don't agree with that attitude but I think that's what it is). I think the answer is to put your late fees up to the point at which you feel it's a fair deal - you genuinely don't care if the parent is late because you receive adequate financial incentive.
We have just found a CM for DS and DD, and she charges late fees at the same rate as her normal hourlay rate. I will not be taking advatage of her, but with that policy, basically all she is saying is she doesn;t have a finish time!

StealthPolarBear Fri 12-Aug-11 09:32:04

Why not charge £30 per hour after hours? After all we're charged if we return a library book or DVD late, I understand the need for a good relationahip between CM and parents, but parents have to play a part in that!

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 12-Aug-11 09:51:24

yy SPB that was in the Freakonomics book

StealthPolarBear Fri 12-Aug-11 09:54:37

ah was it that one?

I do think £30 an hour is reasonable, reserving the right to charge for a full hour if they take up a part, or in 10 min intervals if you are confident they weren't taking the piss.

Yes, you are caring for children, but your time is valuable- why should YOU be the only one to lose out financially if the parents are late? They were in control of that and they lose nothing. If I was 10 mins late because of traffic, I would pay £5 happily to know that my DC were being looked after and I hadn't inconvenienced anyone else, however given the choice I'd be on time rather than pay iyswim.

Cosmosis Fri 12-Aug-11 10:45:35

I always text if I'm gonig to be late, and apologise as well! she is v rude I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now