Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders - help with securing doors

(11 Posts)
sparklystar Thu 11-Aug-11 12:48:07

Hi

Can I ask how you secure your front / back doors ?

Thanks

pollywollyhadadollycalledmolly Thu 11-Aug-11 13:22:33

Mine have locks smile lol

But seriously my CCO told me that my doors should be unlocked with the security chain on (when minding) as if you lose the key and then couldn't get out? Personally i don't do it, i dont feel safe doing that. I keep my doors locked with the key in them and dont take them out.

x

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Thu 11-Aug-11 13:25:06

My front door is always locked and there is a hook high up next to it with the key hanging on it. It never moves from there as it's a spare.

The back door is normally unlocked when we're here during the day as the dog and cat are in and out constantly, however our back gate is securely bolted top and bottom too.

Flisspaps Thu 11-Aug-11 13:25:32

Front door has a Yale lock and a chain. The back doors are locked, but the keys are on a piece of elastic tied around the curtain tie-back hook so they're always nearby and can reach the lock easily, but they're not accessible even if someone breaks the glass in the door to get them from outside (they're out of sight anyway)

Flisspaps Thu 11-Aug-11 13:27:14

Oh, and the back gate is padlocked but I unlock that when minding, and I have a chain and a bolt on to stop the children escaping! I can't see through the gate, hence the chain (so I can see who is calling without traipsing the children back in the house to look through the door!)

sparklystar Thu 11-Aug-11 13:30:42

Thanks for the replies smile

For those of you that lock the door with the key and keep it nearby, are Ofsted ok with this ?

My problem is there is hardly any room on my door to put a sash jammer, or a hook and eye.

Had reg visit recently and lady said it would be ok to have the keys on hooks out of childrens reach

Thanks

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Thu 11-Aug-11 14:25:31

Yes, Ofsted were happy with my arrangement as the boundary is secure and keys are kept out of reach but accessible in case of emergency.

sparklystar Thu 11-Aug-11 14:47:31

Right ok thats good I can lock the boundry with a padlock during minded hours which I usually do with my own DD.

However the lady from the council seems to think Ofsted will not be happy with this and that I should get sash Jammers

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Fri 12-Aug-11 09:43:39

Call Ofsted and ask them if you're not sure. I've got upvc windows that can be locked (I think you're referring to sash window security?).
Just remember that if you've padlocked the gate and that is a possible fire exit you need to plan for that eventuality.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 12-Aug-11 09:56:00

I lock doors and keys on a high hook

I have RAd that the risk of me being incapacitated is smaller than the risk of having an insecure house

The garden has a high gate, high latch but not padlocked because it's an emergency exit route

Windows are not locked

Ofsted happy (outstanding)

anewyear Sat 13-Aug-11 08:38:19

Same as SquishyCinnamonSwirls, and Boys, no problems with Ofsted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now