Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I wish there was a way to warn other minders about bad payers

(10 Posts)
llllll Tue 09-Aug-11 19:59:27

I fell for the whole sob story, did a discount for mum as she was on her own. Mindee was hard work and her behaviour sometimes affected the other mindees but I didn't want to give notice because of the awful story I believe I was fed.

Mum paid in arrears as she was paid on a Friday, I had a Friday off at the end of July and mum said she would drop money off. Well you can guess what happened, no money and so far no contact from mum. Tried her mobile, no answer, so writing a letter not much chance of me getting my money so she is free to do the same to another CM and I am left with a very tight summer hols.

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 09-Aug-11 20:04:26

grim

you only do it once though, eh

[flowers]

do you mix a bit with your local minders? we do pass on this kind of info, very informally, between ourselves

llllll Tue 09-Aug-11 20:10:57

yep never again, I cant believe the behaviour up put up with from the mindee for all those months. I need to harden up x

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 09-Aug-11 20:12:57

bless you, you are very lovely

LolaRennt Tue 09-Aug-11 20:33:14

Poor you sad

Don't let it make you feel like you can't trust other mums in that situation though. Hope its been misunderstanding and she gets in touch

thebody Tue 09-Aug-11 20:35:56

total bitch.. sorry for language but it makes me see red when people dont pay for a bloody good service..

we have all been there though.. i had to literally go to the school playground and confront a parent who owed me £50 last year after I had given her notice as pissed off with being messed around with payment... I cant say who hewr father was on the net but he is a multi millionaire.. his cheques to me(hers always bounced) were from Coutts!!!

get paid in advance from now on.. never ever work in arrears.. never be shy to text a remeinder to pay and DONT let arrears stack up for over a week..

she was wrong not you... but yes running a business requires a hard skin so grow one... bet this wont happen again to you...

pippin26 Wed 10-Aug-11 12:57:13

I would be letting other minders know in my locale.

I have been there and done that!

As said you only do it once... once bitten twice shy!

An0therName Wed 10-Aug-11 13:07:46

Have you thought about taking her to the small claims court? You can fill the paper work in - send her a copy and say you will send it off if havn't had money by certain time?
and maybe join CM group and spread the word!

surfandturf Thu 11-Aug-11 15:44:09

I'm in the same position with one of my 'customers'. I only started minding at the beginning of July.

I gave this family an advance invoice for July as soon as they started. Mum asked if she could pay me at the end of the month as she had, had a nightmare with childcare until finding me and had just paid her last minder. I said just as a one off but as long as she realised that at the end of July she would also be recieving Augusts invoice so therefore 2 to pay in one go.

End of July arrives and I recieve payment for July only. When I question this, I am told 'oh I didn't realise it was payment in advance, I've always paid minders at the end of the month'. I said I don't work in that way and I don't know of any other minders / nurseries that do. I stressed that payment was required.

I then get sob story back that she just can't afford atm and she 'doesn't know what to do'????

I stood my ground and said that all my parents pay in advance and that it will become too confusing to have different terms for different customers. Therefore, I negotiated that if she could pay as much as possible off the August invoice now she could make up the rest with her September invoice.

This was over a week ago and nada. I am owed almost £600. This family are my main breadwinners but not if they miss payments. I am currently overdrawn by £500 because I have not recieved this payment.

More annoyingly, the mindees come and tell me that mum and dad bought me this and that at the weekend Grrrr. I'm being too soft too aren't I?

Sorry to hi-jack your thread llllll

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 11-Aug-11 17:19:21

I would give notice tbh, s and t, if not resolved by September

there are many more decent people out there than the odd one or two rancid payers IYSWIM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now