Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM needs a reference for OFSTED

(9 Posts)
harassedandherbug Tue 09-Aug-11 11:35:29

Where do I start?? What do I say??

Any suggestions please?

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 09-Aug-11 11:44:02

She should be able to give you a questionnaire to fill out that would be a good starting point. I got my parents to fill it out and then left a box at the bottom for them to write any other comments in. If they had time then one or two also wrote a reference for me.
It would be good to say if your children are happy there, the kind of activities they like doing, how satisfied you are with the provision, anything the childminder does that you feel is above and beyond the basic requirements etc.

harassedandherbug Tue 09-Aug-11 12:10:24

She hasn't given me a questionnaire, just asked me to write a letter type reference.

Thanks for the ideas though, I think I just need a couple of pointers to get me started iykwim.

MarathonMillie Tue 09-Aug-11 12:17:39

My CM asked me for a letter reference recently. She wanted me to state the length of time she cared for DD and our reason for leaving. I also added a paragraph which covered CM's attitude/professionalism, what her home is like and how much DD loved being there.

Flisspaps Tue 09-Aug-11 12:28:34

I didn't have a questionnaire to give out when I had to get a reference for Ofsted last year. I didn't know Ofsted wanted a reference other than when someone was registering - is this what it's for?

Mine said that she'd known me X years, a short bit about my character and that I was suitable, and that she'd be more than happy to leave her children with me (in fact, her baby was the reason for me registering).

If she's after it for an upcoming inspection I'd do a character reference and say how much your children love being there, what sort of things they do and what sort of things she does for you (eg daily diary, photo cd, newsletters) although if that's what she wants it for she'd be better devising her own questionnaire, there are lots if she searches the net smile

ChitChattingagain Tue 09-Aug-11 14:33:15

- how long she has looked after your DC
- how happy you've been with her
- how happy your children are with her
- how informed you feel about their DC and their activities
- how informed you feel about your child's progress in relation to EYFS criteria
- how well she liaises with your DC's nursery or school (if they go)
- how she's dealt with any difficult situations

That sort of thing!

looneytune Tue 09-Aug-11 14:55:39

Not sure if this will help but I have several references on my website, some were done for Ofsted visits, others just because........This is a link to my website, just click on the references page if you want some ideas.

HTH smile

anewyear Tue 09-Aug-11 16:58:18

What a brilliant website you have Looney..

harassedandherbug Fri 12-Aug-11 13:16:40

Thanks for all your pointers. My cm is now the recipient of a glowing recommendation!

Looney, that's a fab website you have. It looks great at yours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now