Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder - when to look and starting back at work

(5 Posts)
ObviouslyOblivious Sat 06-Aug-11 22:18:32

I don't even want to think about this yet, but I go back to work in late January 2012. I will have lots of holiday to use before April so am considering going back one day a week or some half day combinations for a while then building up to three days <prays that flexible working is accepted>

When should I start looking for a childminder (I'm in London)?

And when I go back at first will I need to pay for all three days to keep my place even if I'm not using them? Should I use those weeks to acclimatise DS to the change and send him for half days? What do people normally do to get DCs used to a childminder?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm sure they've all been asked and answered many times before.

NickNacks Sun 07-Aug-11 08:23:34

I would start looking now. I have just filled my January vacancy. My own child turns 8 so I knew I'd have an upcoming space.

And with regard to the other days I would say you would probably be expected to pay or risk the days not being available when you need them. I personally couldn't afford to hold a space 2 days a wk for 3/4 months. I think it would be a very good idea to use the days to sette your son as one day a week is not very good for (I assume) a baby around 12 months as they forget after not being there for 6 days.

Good luck.

ObviouslyOblivious Sun 07-Aug-11 21:09:04

Thank you NickNacks

girliefriend Sun 07-Aug-11 21:18:22

I would start looking now as Jan will come round frighteningly quickly (sorry!) Childminders differ in how flexable they are/ can be, and they normally will have a policy of a settling in period and what they recommend.

I would advise seeing at least 3 different childminders, trust instincts, read their ofsted reports and take a list of questions to ask!!!

mamamaisie Sun 07-Aug-11 22:47:10

I agree, start looking now but be prepared for some childminder to be unwilling to take a booking this early. Most of my enquiries are about 1-2 months before the start date. Tomorrow I am meeting a mum who is going back to work at the end of February 2012. Normally I don't take bookings this early but this just happens to suit me really well. I have a place opening up soon but have two lots of relatives coming to visit from abroad so I have decide not to fill the place until after they have been. I would have preferred an enquiry for early January but this one for late February came along so I am happy to go with it smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now