Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Another nannyshare costs question - live in

(9 Posts)
JinxyCat Fri 05-Aug-11 17:10:43

We're now looking into splitting our existing nannies time between two families, two full days with us - and three days with the other family.

What do people think is a reasonable pay increase for the change. She's currently paid £70 net per day, live in - so I was thinking that increasing that to £80 per day from each family is reasonable.

But our nanny is concerned that it's not enough (she looks after one 2.5yr old now), the other share family has a 4 yr old that needs dropping at school and a 2 year old...

callaird Fri 05-Aug-11 17:42:41

Is she going to be working solely for you 2 days and solely for them 3 days? If so, then I cannot see the need for an increase in wage!

A nanny-share with extra pay usually means that the nanny has two families children at the same time. Therefore more children wage a higher wage.

A nanny is paid per family, not per child. A nanny looking after one child will not necessarily get more money than a nanny looking after 4 children.

I am currently looking for a new position, there is no difference in wage for one child and 3 children. I have looked after 3 sets of twins and never got more money. I have also been in a nanny-share role, looked after a 4 month old and a 3 month old at the same time and earnt a slightly higher wage but not significantly higher. (the families both went on to have DC2 13 months later and so I had all 4, I did get a £30 a week raise for each child but it included my annual raise)

Laquitar Fri 05-Aug-11 18:40:40

callaird is right.

£400 per week net for a live in and she is not happy??
I think thats very good even if you are in london. The one family i know know pays more than that has a nanny fluent in English/German/Russian and they are bi-lingual family.

Unless it is a typo and you meant live out ?
How does it work live in and work for 2 families?

mranchovy Fri 05-Aug-11 19:54:53

That's an unusual arrangement - will the other family be paying you for a share of her board and lodging costs? You need to consider whether you would need to declare this as taxable income (to you).

Board and lodging is probably worth £75-£150 a week, or £15-£35 a working day.

The other problem that is going to hit you is that it is going to be difficult to work with a net pay figure and two jobs - time to get everyone thinking gross pay (which is £90 a day). That is a pretty good live in rate IMHO.

nannynick Fri 05-Aug-11 20:44:45

"two full days with us - and three days with the other family. "
Are all the children being cared for at the same time? If not, then it's two different jobs.

JinxyCat Sat 06-Aug-11 08:26:42

Thanks guys, it's great to get some opinions.

Yes, she is live in and I do think that £400 a week net is pretty good, so not quite sure why she's not happy with that offer.

@mranchovy, I have given figures to the other family which include £30 a day for board - but you're right, I will need to think about telling my accountant about the extra income (not being posh, my husband gets all our family accounts done as a perk from work)

@nannynick - the kids are not being looked after at the same time, so I can see how it can be seen as two jobs. I thought that we needed to increase the wages because of the 'inconvenience' of working between two houses - but it sounds like we're being quite generous about it.

@laquitar - you're right, it is an unusual arrangement. It's come about as I'm going on maternity leave shortly, and want to keep our live-in nanny on for when I go back to work (hopefully after twelve months, but might have to go back earlier for financial reasons), and we can't afford to keep her full time.

nannynick Sat 06-Aug-11 09:13:34

So it is not a nannyshare - the other job just happens to be working as a nanny, it could have been working in a shop.

For a nannyshare, the wages are increased a little due to the inconvenience of having two sets of parents to keep happy, of having children at wherever the care is being provided who don't live at that home.

How I see it, what you are effectively doing is letting them stay at your home for free. Maybe you need to consider charging them rent (though look into tax implications of that and if a tenancy agreement is needed.)

Another option may be for her to be paid less when caring for your children, and not being charged rent. As the current level of pay is based on them working a certain number of hours a week for you, and under this new agreement they will be doing less hours.

You do not need to have any involvement with the other employer. If it were a shop you wouldn't be getting involved in what they were agreeing with their employee. I would however suggest that you make sure the nanny knows to complete a P46 to say that their new work is not their only job. The new employer should agree a Gross salary (I hope you have as well) so that any taxcode changes won't have effect on what is paid overall - the taxcode changes the amount of Employee Income Tax deducted from the Gross Salary.

>It's come about as I'm going on maternity leave shortly, and want to keep our live-in nanny on for when I go back to work (hopefully after twelve months, but might have to go back earlier for financial reasons)

What if after say 6 months you decide to go back to work and they decide they like the current arrangement and don't want to care for your children on the days they are working the new job?

nannynick Sat 06-Aug-11 09:19:36

I wonder if you can employ your nanny but subcontract them out to someone else for a specific period of time. The other family would then pay you and you in turn pay the nanny.

Whilst you are on maternity leave are you not needing childcare at all for your current child/children on those three days?

JinxyCat Tue 09-Aug-11 16:23:12

Thanks nannynick - as always, great advice. We have agreed a gross salary with the nanny (hence she got a tiny payrise when the NIC stuff changed earlier this year), but I think people are still finding it easier to think in terms of net wage.

I'm going to manage on my own with the newborn and my toddler (2.5yrs) on the days when our nanny isn't working for us - I figure if my Mum could cope with four of us kids, I should be able to cope (gulp!)

The reason I was wanting to get involved in finding her another job for the other three days was because I could then raise with the family what would happen when I go back to work. I thought it would make it easier, but perhaps it's made it harder....

I was hopeful that my going back to work was going to coincide with my DS starting at school for mornings - so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle for the sharing family, but definitely something we're bringing up as you're right - it's something else to consider!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now