Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Potential 1st nannying job - what do I need to know??

(9 Posts)
Jodyisagirlsmane Thu 04-Aug-11 10:07:01

Okay, so I am meeting up with a family next week and will potentially be starting as their nanny in September.

It will be my first position as a nanny, so I'm not really sure what questions to ask when I meet them, what the deal is with contracts etc?

Can anyone advise me?? Thanks! smile

fraktious Thu 04-Aug-11 10:45:28

Before you accept the job you need to be clear on hours, pay (needs to be gross, they're responsible for deducting tax and NI), holiday and duties. Find out their views on routine, nutrition, activities and discipline.

If you want I can PM you my long list of questions to ask families - some won't be relevant!

You need to have a contract signed before you start the job - it should cover absolutely everything and hopefully you'll never need to refer to it! There are sample ones which can give you an idea of what should be included.

You are their employee. That means you have almost all the statutory rights you would have in any other job. There are a few exemptions for domestic workers, such as working hours.

Other things to consider:
Do they need you to drive? Whose car will you use?
Do they need to you to register with OFSTED? Who pays? Regardless of whether you register or not you need to sort out nanny insurance for yourself, most nannies I know are with Morton Michel.
What happens about expenses on duty?

Jodyisagirlsmane Thu 04-Aug-11 11:30:16

Thanks fraktious! You've given me lots to think about. I would really appreciate the list of questions to look through, if that's okay smile

Do you know where I can find a sample contract to have a read through?

Thanks again!

colditz Thu 04-Aug-11 11:32:10

What happens if they are late? You need toknow that!!

fraktious Thu 04-Aug-11 12:18:10

The ANA one here is okay with some modification. Your prospective employers may be supplied with one by a payroll company. That site has lots of helpful info and messageboards with lots of nannies.

I'll send you the questions when DS lets me stop pacing and I get onto my laptop.

Strix Thu 04-Aug-11 13:11:28

Ask them how activities and other expenses will be covered (e.g. kitty, receipts reimbursed, set spending each month, etc.)

What about activities, will you arrange them or do they have pre-set activities (or some of both).

What are the travel expectations (car provided, bussing it everywhere... where is the nearest bus stop, etc.)

What is in the house rules? Are they happy for you to have other nannies/charges around to the house?

What sort of communication do they prefer (nanny diary, phone calls, emails, etc.)

ChitChattingagain Fri 05-Aug-11 12:43:48

You should also be prepared for some of their questions:

What sort of activities do you envisage doing with their child(ren)
Give some meal plans as examples of what you might prepare
How would you discipline a child
What would you do in an emergency situation (they might specify - child breaks arm/severe cut/falls and hits their head, etc, etc)
If you have a family/children - what arrangements will you make if you children/family member are ill
Is your first said up to date, if not, when will you be able to undertake a first aid course
Are you Ofsted registered/ if not, are you willing to become registered.
How flexible are you if the parents are running late/need you to start early - how much notice would you need.
Are you available for occasional babysitting
WHY do YOU want to be a nanny (very important one, this one, as its your first job!!!)
Why do you think you would be a good nanny

You might also want to know -

What family members might wish to see the child during the day (are there grandparents who might want to see the child during the week).
Family dynamics (are both parents on the premises - if not how much access does the living away parent have, do you have to answer to them too).

foodjunkie Fri 05-Aug-11 21:30:31

They may ask you what you would do in certain situations so be prepared for that.

I always get it in my head that I am interviewing them to see if I can work WITH them as well as FOR them.

candr Tue 09-Aug-11 22:24:18

You also need to try and get a good vibe from the family, try and see how she parents and disciplines - do you agree with the way she does it and would you be happy following suit? Do you feel they are approachable to ask questions? Are you live in or out as live in has a big impact on your weekends and evenings. When I met the family I worked for I had lunch with them and was able to observe how they interacted, table manners, food chioce etc, I chatted to parents and tried to involve children without being pushy. Went for walk around their land with the kids and current nanny and got idea of what children could be like away from prents and had informal interview with parents. I stayed for 4 years and see them all the time now, it can be a brill job and I ended up being one of the family but hated taking holidays with them as dynamic changed completely and I was left to do everything with normal working hours out the window.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now