Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare in central London for twins: Help

(8 Posts)
aramass Wed 03-Aug-11 08:26:55

I'm a teacher so my earnings aren't that fantastic, also I live in North/Central London and have been investigating childcare options for my 6 month old twins when I return to work for 3 days a week at the end of this year. I am desperately seeking an affordable option.

The cost of a nanny is going to cost more than I earn after tax, also it gets complicated when I have to work out things like holidays as I get 70 days per year as a teacher and wouldn't want to be paying full pay beyond standard employee holidays. Paying someone cash in hand or underpaying someone is not an option either.

The price of nurseries seems to be astronomical when it comes to paying for two.

So would the best option in that case be a child minder? I've looked at a couple but they still seem to be expensive, I can afford to spend £100 a day on childcare but the childminder I've spoken to already is asking for more.

Any ideas? I'm really keen to go back to work but don't know how I am going to afford it! I teach really challenging teenagers and it might end up being the case that I have to pay to teach them!

PhylisStein Wed 03-Aug-11 08:44:14

When I got pg with twins (I am a teacher too) we moved out of London! It has been great for us - why not try it? Or get an au pair if you have a spare room - that seems the cheapest option.

aramass Wed 03-Aug-11 08:50:38

I don't want to move out of London. I know it doesn't make any financial sense but I love living in London. What do you do for childcare Phylis?

NannyBeth Wed 03-Aug-11 09:38:08

If you have space, a live in nanny if probably your best option. £350-400net is average wage for full time live in work at the moment, so you could probably easily offer £100gross per day (works out to about £250net per week). If you know of anyone else local who may possibly want someone the other 2 days, it may sweeten the deal! As then the nanny can earn more as a live out nanny the other 2 days a week.

aramass Wed 03-Aug-11 12:01:22

Thanks for this NB. We don't have the space otherwise it would be a good option.

Blu Wed 03-Aug-11 12:05:54

What about joining SimplyChildcare? You jpin up for 3 isssues, and get access to all the childcare providers looking for work, and can place your own as specifying exactly what you want. It sounds as if a Nanny with her own children could suit you v well if she is looking for work during term time only - or a cm may be looking to provide term tome only cover, too.

We had a nanny who brought her own child and so we paid her less because she was also providing childcare for herself.

Lizcat Wed 03-Aug-11 12:59:20

A nanny with school age children who may not want to work full time nor in the holidays. I would approach a number of agencies to ask if they have anyone on their books who fits this criteria - I think you will be surprised. I know of one excellent Norland nanny who would prefer to work 3 days a week term time only if she could - afraid not in London, but just an example to show that they are out there.

luckylou Wed 03-Aug-11 14:22:29

Where in London, aramass?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now