Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

au pair house rules/handbook

(4 Posts)
tiggersreturn Tue 02-Aug-11 14:13:25

I have an AP starting very soon and would like to do a general handbook to help her settle in. I outlined her responsibilities and rights rather thoroughly in her invitation letter/contract including, sick pay, holidays, grievances, daily schedule, pay etc.

What I'd like is some sort of general book to help her with expectations of our house, general info like emergency nos, english schools etc. Has anyone got something like this that I could base it on or other ideas that I could include?

SenoritaViva Tue 02-Aug-11 16:58:06

I'd include things she can do on her day off
Food in the house (can she help herself to anything etc. or should she ask/let you know if something is getting low)
Use of phone and receiving calls
Smoking (this might be a no no anyway, but in case they have a friend visit)
Friends visiting / going to visit
Internet/computer usage
I'd include stuff about the kids (e.g. what they particularly like, don't like)
TV (like does you DH have to watch the news like mine etc.) do you have one she can have sole use of in the evenings etc.

that all sounds like 'rules and regulations' but is meant to make them feel like they know what's going on. E.g. 'You're welcome to use the computer when one of us isn't using it but please just ask first'

Just some thoughts.... I hate being in someone else's house and not knowing what I can or can't do so guidelines just are really useful.

What about an English/their language dictionary to help you both out?

tiggersreturn Tue 02-Aug-11 17:35:44

Thanks those are good ideas. Dh should have a dictionary around as he does German lessons, but I'll double check.

dikkertjedap Tue 02-Aug-11 19:49:38

Also lots of obvious things, how her laundry is to be dealt with, us eof showers if shared, what to do if she is lost/stuck somewhere (eg public transport not working). Most important try to make her feel at home and if she is still quite young, expect teenage type behaviour (sometimes moody, lonely, strong need for teenage friends). Hope all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now