Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Why am I such a pushover?

(8 Posts)
gardenpixies32 Mon 01-Aug-11 19:15:04

One of my parents was late...again...She text me 2 minutes before she was due to pick her child up saying she was stuck on the phone to Sky! She then arrived 25 minutes late.

I worked out that in the month of July with early drops offs and late pick ups(most of them 5 minutes, but it still adds up and another parent being 10 minutes early, twice!) I worked an extra 4 hours!

They are all so nice about it and then I just cave in and say "Oh, it's ok"!

I need to toughen up.

surfandturf Mon 01-Aug-11 19:26:55

I would start charging for the extra time (and I only round up the nearset half hour!) So if they are 5 or 10 mins late add and extra 1/2 hour on to the following months invoice for every time they are late / early! I am harsh!!! grin

HSMM Mon 01-Aug-11 21:01:57

I kid myself that I'm tough about this stuff, but I'm a big pushover really. I do charge for ALL overtime though. I really had to go out straight after work once, so I took the mindees with me and their Dad was chasing me all over Berkshire, to try and catch up with his children.

thebody Mon 01-Aug-11 23:01:47

yep get this.. have one parent who wen he drops off its always 10 minutes early.. mum doesnt but i honestly think he just doesnt realise and i havnt said anything because he often picks up 15 minutes early.. so swings and roundabouts.

its all about running the business isnt it.. instead of thinking you are a push over think instead that you are a good business woman who smilws through gritted teeth, offers a dam good service and in the end hangs on to her clients..

however if its all one way, i.e if parent is always early drop off and always late pick up then its a bit of a piss take and may be worth a chat.. business head on... not friend... you deserve to be shown respect..

Dozer Tue 02-Aug-11 08:53:50

Am a parent, think the late /early parents are out of order, and should value their CM's time more. The sky thing is taking the piss! You should start charging.

Our old nursery charged a pound a minute for lateness!

sunshinenanny Thu 04-Aug-11 09:55:48

Nanny not childminder but oh how I laughed at the thought of father chasing his children all over Berkshiregrin

My employer is often late and seems to think it's not worth an apology. Next time he does it perhaps I should think about taking my charge home on the bus with me! Dad would love the 55 minute round trip to get him backsmile

I will make sure in my next contract that if they employers are more than 10 minutes late they pay me!

Mum with Sky excuse should be ashamed of herslf she's taking the piss! charge her!

Berryred Tue 09-Aug-11 14:51:20

just say you need them at the right time as you have other things you need to do straight away, fine in an emergancy but not 4 hours over the time slot!

I have a parent 0745-1715 but uses me 8-1700, as I said you need to be there on the dot, I will not open my door until 8, but if you want to do contract from 0745 I will be here ect ect!! Sometime they can be here 0755-1710 ect so that extra 5-10 mins is paid

Berryred Tue 09-Aug-11 14:52:12

forgot to add I get paid per 1/2 hour and am £2 per 1/4 hour if not within contract hours

haha toughen up !! (I learnt the hard way too lol)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now