Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders, would you take a child for odd days?

(13 Posts)
fatoftheland Fri 29-Jul-11 23:32:15

Hi all,

I work in a school so term-time only and have to work all in-service days. My youngest obviously gets 5 days off a year where i have to find child care. This has never been a problem until now as my mum had her but she will now be working days.

My question is: as a childminder, would you accept having a child for just 2 days and maybe an odd day through the year if needed?

TIA

sweetestchilli Fri 29-Jul-11 23:53:58

Hi,

Some will, some won't! That's not very helpful I know. I'm a childminder and I have two permanent children I mind. I have worked for the same family for 4 years and I have had many other children through the years. I have always made it clear to the newer parents that my care for the other two children has to come first (I.e school holidays are taken up by them therefore I am not available) But, I would gladly take on a child P/T - as needed. A lot of childminders won't as they charge a retainer fee to keep the place open and obviously if a parent wants a full time place that would definitely be better than occasional pay.
I'm sure if you search you will find someone who is available to help you. Some of us are pretty flexible! smile
Good luck

HSMM Sat 30-Jul-11 08:21:21

I do occasional days for school children, but not the little ones, as all my spaces are full for the younger children. I have 2 school children booked in for the whole holidays/inset days and then spaces for others to come and go as they need to.

Some CM do and some don't, just ask around (NB: They may not advertise that they can do this).

Flisspaps Sat 30-Jul-11 08:24:58

If I had space, I would.

KatyMac Sat 30-Jul-11 08:30:48

I have lots of 'ad-hoc' children; but I have to honour my existing children

The way I work it is, you email (never by phone) what you need & I email back what I can do, once you pay you have that day(s) secured.

Thinking about it tho' if it's teacher training days I 'should' be able to ring fence them if I have room

My worst nightmare is the 'ad-hoc' parent who rings up and demands I have their child on such & such day 'as they have no alternative'

So you just need someone like me in your area (I agree tho' most won't advertise this sort of thing)

fatoftheland Sat 30-Jul-11 10:43:19

Thanks for your replies.

It's such a pain for the sake of 4/5 days! I wasn't sure if anyone would actually take odd days as it might be disruptive to the other children/plans that they have.

There are a couple of local ones that i will e-mail and see what they say.

Thanks again.

TwistAndShout Sat 30-Jul-11 13:26:11

Yes, I do this.

I have two children whose Mum is an Air stewardess and I have her children on an ad hoc basis if I have space that allows it.

anewyear Sat 30-Jul-11 17:11:38

I have 4 mindees, thats is all i want at the mo.
But yes I do Ad-Hoc too smile

surfandturf Mon 01-Aug-11 19:33:28

I would take odd days too if I had space available.

leesax Mon 01-Aug-11 21:54:59

As above - if I have the space I will do ad hoc

HelllyJ Thu 04-Aug-11 19:31:30

I am an Ofsted registered childminder and if there are spaces available then yes. I am Guildford/Woking if you are interested.

Berryred Fri 05-Aug-11 20:52:00

yes I would, space dependant

pollywollyhadadollycalledmolly Thu 11-Aug-11 17:09:06

Yep as long as i have the spaces i am quite happy to do ad hoc care smile I do special rate for kids that only need holiday cover (i would class inservice days as holiday cover lol) for only £25 a day and its been quite popular for the summer holidays. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now