Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Some advice for clueless first time mum please

(11 Posts)
AllBellyandBoobs Fri 29-Jul-11 16:03:59

Hi, I'm getting married in December by which time my dd will be 8.5mths old. The wedding is an evening affair, 5pm-midnight. in a one room venue which is likely to get very noisy once the party starts. Ideally my dd will be present for the ceremony but then I'd like someone to be able to take her home and get her ready for bed and stay the night. Problem I have is who should that someone be? Obviously all family and close friends will be at the wedding (and have turned noses up at being asked to babysit instead). So do I need a babysitter, a childminder or something different?

It is important to me that the 'someone' has spent time with my dd prior to this day so dd is happy to be put to bed by them so I'm prepared to have this person come to the house regularly.

Can anyone advise me what it is I am looking for, when I need to start looking, how often my dd and she/he need to spend time together for her to be happy and confident to leave the wedding with them???? I have to admit to not really looking forward to the wedding at the moment because I'm so worried about who will look after my precious first born!! smile

Gastonladybird Fri 29-Jul-11 16:12:36

can you find a babysitter that you can get to sit for your dd a few times before so is used to her. also i can see your pfb worry but by 8.5m they do seem a little more robust and easier to leave with someone sensible (i was similarly hesitant with my own dd).
alternatively you could find a nanny/cm that does long baby sitting like this - where are you based as maybe someone here would help or could suggest best place to do an ad as if you specced out that you wanted a babysitter to do this job but also a few trial runs am sure someone with suitable references/experiences would turn up.

thebody Fri 29-Jul-11 18:33:46

wouldnt it be easier to take your dd with you..?? if all your friends and family are there she can be passed around and cuddled by all who are familiar to her and will then fall asleep wont she??

i know all different but all of my 4 have been to evening family events and fallen asleep eventually despite loud music as when knackered they knackered..

AllBellyandBoobs Fri 29-Jul-11 18:33:50

Thank you for replying. It's reassuring to hear that by that age they are easier to leave, I imagined that they might be more attached to parents and so harder to leave, glad it's (generally) not so.

I'm in Liverpool, so if anyone does know anyone or the best place to advertise then please let me know!

AllBellyandBoobs Fri 29-Jul-11 18:40:42

x-posted thebody I think that that is what I assumed would happen but it seems that everyone is reluctant, although they haven't explicitly said it, to be in charge of taking care of her. I can understand it as I suppose everyone can have more fun if she is not there, her Dad and I included. I don't want that to sound callous or uncaring... Maybe I'll feel differently nearer the time as well as she'll be a different baby to the one she is now. She is currently a very demanding 4 month old, gets bored very quickly, ten minutes spent doing one thing seems to be seven minutes too many. She's also a very difficult sleeper/napper, she'll fight sleep for anything up to two hours before finally giving in, and she's very vocal in her protests smile I just can't imagine her being placid enough in 4.5 months time to let anyone actually enjoy the wedding if they are looking after her.

NannyBeth Sat 30-Jul-11 12:00:26

This is something I'd consider doing! Am not nearby though so probably not what you're looking for. Maybe try calling some local nanny agencies and see if they know of anyone who'd be interested in a few babysits in the lead up and then the main event. Or even someone who y

NannyBeth Sat 30-Jul-11 12:02:43

Argh it posted too early!

This is something I'd consider doing! Am not nearby though so probably not what you're looking for. Maybe try calling some local nanny agencies and see if they know of anyone who'd be interested in a few babysits in the lead up and then the main event. Or even someone who you could employ one night every week for a bit of adult time (dinner, drinks, movie, whatever) and then the wedding and then continue it on. I know this type of regular work is something I'd consider!! Pity I'm in London now really...! Haha

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 30-Jul-11 12:04:23

do the hotel offer a nanny/babysitting service?

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 30-Jul-11 12:04:37

DOES not do

[shoots self]

eurycantha Sat 30-Jul-11 12:05:24

I`m with nanny beth on this you should be able to phone a reputable agency and ask if they can provide a nanny for the evening .I have done many weddings where I look after children when needed and then take children back to their home or a hotel room to look after them.

Gastonladybird Sat 30-Jul-11 12:06:20

Post here for starters asking who does babysitting in your area? If you were near me would put you onto our nanny who does babysit and do odd overnight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now